TINY BUGS LIVING IN MY CHICKEN'S FACE & BODY

clarence reeko

In the Brooder
Dec 18, 2020
Started keeping 48 layers 2 weeks back so I got them at point of lay but I just noticed these tiny bugs I don't know if they are fleas or lice or what buy they're living on the chickens creeping around especially around the eyes and also under the feathers on the skin. How can I get rid of these? Someone recommended that dust powder chemical but is the dust safe to use around the chicken's eyes? I'll attach the pics, you might wanna look closely though

Attachments

• tt.png
    tt.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 147
  • tt1.png
    tt1.png
    506.7 KB · Views: 73
They look like poultry lice. I don't about any treatment that I would be comfortable using around the eyes. Probably someone else does though. For the rest of the body you could use a dusting chemical like you mentioned or diatomaceous earth if you prefer natural. ( All y'all others, I know de is controversial but I have had success with it and I prefer natural over chemicals any day if they work)

From what I understand, poultry lice are usually whiter and poultry mites are a darker reddish, which is why I said lice (also have dealt with poultry lice and these look like what mine had, although they infested more around the butt) but I could be wrong 😊
I dealt with the same looking things. Also infested around the butt. I always thought they were mites, but never got an actual confirmation. You are probably correct about them being lice.

Back
Top Bottom