Too hot vs. too cold?

Delmara

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
Wills Point, TX
HELP!!! 3 day old chick was just lying on the ground with her eyes closed in about 90° heat and I've found ants crawling out of her feathers. Looks like mom left her. I've got her inside now, but she won't open her eyes. I've managed to trickle a little sugar water down her beak and she did start to sip at it but I don't want to choke her. My dad is running out for some chick saver right now but it'll be at least an hour before he gets back.

How do I know if she's too hot or too cold right now?

Update: she just gave a little chirp and moved her head a little, but eyes are still closed.

For the short term, hold her in your hand, or keep her up against your body-- you will keep her warm, and the temperature of your hand won't cook her. Once you get a little hospital box set up for her, aim for about 85-90 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, make sure the area heat source feels warm to you, not hot.

For the short term, hold her in your hand, or keep her up against your body-- you will keep her warm, and the temperature of your hand won't cook her. Once you get a little hospital box set up for her, aim for about 85-90 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, make sure the area heat source feels warm to you, not hot.

Thank you, but she passed away in my hands about half an hour ago T^T

Back
Top Bottom