Treats for Chicks

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
My 8 week old Wyandotte Chicks are the pickiest chickens I have ever had. They don't like cantalope, watermelon, corn cobs, grapes, and.....wait for it.............BREAD. Now tell me what chicken don't like bread?!?! Every single one of my chickens love bread besides them. What are some treats I could give them besides their regular chick crumbles?? Any input will help. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

-Shannon
smile.png

Chicks often aren't willing to try new things but tend to get more adventurous as they get older and some of the braver among them get willing to try something. Once one is enjoying it, the rest are more willing to dive in. Keep offering these things - they'll get it in the end.

Most of my hens are pretty normal, they will eat practically anything I offer them, but I have a New Hampshire Red who is really, really picky: she won't eat apple, and ignores most delicacies like cat food, yogurt, blackberries, oatmeal, and lettuce. (actually none of my hens like lettuce that much) They are all a bit hesitant to try new things, but once they see some one enjoying the food, they'll go for it. All my chickens have different tastes, for example, one of my RIR hen loves apples and worms, and my Barred Plymouth Rocks all like snails, bread and cheese.....

Mine would not touch things as chicks which they have no trouble diving into now. You don't have to give them treats so I wouldn't be pushing it. Especially if they are moving in with a full gornw flock when they get older. they will eat whatever the big girls eat.

I'm new to raising chicks and thought I'd share my recent experience with givng treats. My chicks are now a little over 3 weeks old. I had been giving them nothing but starter feed and water, until my sister who has a small farm and has raised lots of healthy chickens, laughed at me and asked why I'm "babying" my chicks. She said she gives her chicks all kinds of other food after only about a week old. Like I said, she's raised LOTS of very healthy chickens, and I trust her knowledge and advice. So I held my breath and maybe said a little prayer, and then started giving them "treats" every day for the past week. So far I've given them leftover cooked broccoli (they love it), raw corn on the cob (kinda like it), and apple slices (they barely touched them) all without incident. The chicks are still happy, active and healthy. I haven't given them any extra grit as some others have suggested, but I do put their treats on a tray of our yard dirt, which contains lots of sand/grit because we live in the desert, so I think they get enough. The one treat that has been their absolute favorite and so much fun to feed them is cooked spaghetti noodles! (my sister suggested it) They literally go CRAZY over it!! I assume because they think it's worms. They come running when they see me with it, and fight over the pieces. So funny to watch and I think it entertains them as well. I'm thinking of buying meal worms like some have suggested. I think they'd really love a real worm instead of a noodle worm. My sister throws all kinds of table/cooking scraps into her chicken coop, but the coop also houses some geese and an enormous pot bellied pig. I'm not by any means telling you that you should give treats, I just wanted you to know it's worked out so far for my chicks.

Back
Top Bottom