Tried feeding wild fish today

Andi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
West Central Minnesota
I had some pellet form Betta food and thought I'd see if the fish at a local State Park would eat it. The sunfish figured out pretty quickly that it was food. Then the large mouth bass smelled it and swarmed in. That was cool seeing a dozen and a half beasts swim in at the same time from all sides of the dock! They swam within inches of the food then looked around as if to say 'I smell it. I know its here. Where is it?' The bass never did figure it out.

The neatest part was when the bass were trying to figure out where the food was a sunfish came in that had a hook in his mouth. He must have been awfully hungry! He did some serious pigging out then swam to the end of the dock and stared right up at me. That little bugger was begging! I'm so glad I had my camera with. I didn't have it out when the bass swarmed in, but I couldn't pass up attempting to take it out when that sunfish with the hook came in.

You can see the Betta food floating on the surface in these first 2 pics.

IMG_4826aa.jpg
IMG_4813a50percent.jpg

The sunfish with the hook is swimming with the bass in these 2. If you look close you can see the hook.

IMG_4821a40percent.jpg
IMG_4822a40percent.jpg

Poor guy, shame you couldn't help him out with his hook situation. No telling how long he has lived with it. Looks pretty scarred up. Your water is so clear. Our lakes are so low around here they are super dark and muddy.

That is so cool that you got the pic like that (and also gives me some idea's next time I go fishing ~sprinkle a lil fish food around to lure them in,then cast around that area ~you can call it cheating if you like,but I practice 'catch and release,anyway:plbb. I feel sad everytime I my line snaps when reeling in a fish..hopefully they didn't use stainless steel hooks (I think they should be banned). But most hooks (I've read) are made to rust out quickly,so hopefully the little guy got enough food from you to hold him over (seems like it would be very hard for him to eat smaller fish with that big ol' thing hanging out of his mouth! Good karma for points for you:)

Those are very cool photos. If you went every day it wouldn't be very long before they'd be eating from your hand, and waiting for you to get there.

Back
Top Bottom