Twenty-some chickens, two dogs, two cats, and a peahen on a mountaintop

MountainUp1

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Grew up and lived in urban city center until five years ago. Then we moved to a remote mountain in a rural setting. Started by building a small 3x8 chicken tractor. Then an 8x8 coup. Added an outdoor 4x8 run. Now another 8x12 add-on. So now we have about 8x20 coop and free range during day.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

About twenty... 10 adult hens of various variety, 1 adult rooster, and 11 pullets. We think 6 of the pullets are roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?

A bunch of different breeds. All of the new pullets are Black Copper Marans.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Never being on a farm or owning chickens, they're amazing creatures that are wonderful at natural pest control - they eat all the ticks and seem to cut down on mosquitos. They actually have individual personalities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Firewood heating - a full time job all in itself, therapy dog training, hiking, photography

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Just me any my spousal unit. We have two dogs including a 3 year old Cane Corso 'therapy dog in training'.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Found BYC years ago before building first chicken coop, been lurking ever since. BYC has already offered us lots of information and has proven invaluable resource. A few months ago, a wild peahen made our home her own. She hasn't left even one day. Looking to learn more about peafowl and have some questions, that's why I joined today.

gus lucy.png lucy-head.JPG Gus with Maran Peeps.jpg peahen beautiful s.jpg

Attachments

• Peahen eating from hand.png
    Peahen eating from hand.png
    782.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Peahen puffed up at cat.png
    Peahen puffed up at cat.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 5
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Grew up and lived in urban city center until five years ago. Then we moved to a remote mountain in a rural setting. Started by building a small 3x8 chicken tractor. Then an 8x8 coup. Added an outdoor 4x8 run. Now another 8x12 add-on. So now we have about 8x20 coop and free range during day.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
About twenty... 10 adult hens of various variety, 1 adult rooster, and 11 pullets. We think 6 of the pullets are roosters.

(3) What breeds do you have?
A bunch of different breeds. All of the new pullets are Black Copper Marans.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Never being on a farm or owning chickens, they're amazing creatures that are wonderful at natural pest control - they eat all the ticks and seem to cut down on mosquitos. They actually have individual personalities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Firewood heating - a full time job all in itself, therapy dog training, hiking, photography

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Just me any my spousal unit. We have two dogs including a 3 year old Cane Corso 'therapy dog in training'.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found BYC years ago before building first chicken coop, been lurking ever since. BYC has already offered us lots of information and has proven invaluable resource. A few months ago, a wild peahen made our home her own. She hasn't left even one day. Looking to learn more about peafowl and have some questions, that's why I joined today.

View attachment 2394111View attachment 2394112View attachment 2394116View attachment 2394117
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Back
Top Bottom