two questions

mandisdad

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
Hello all.

I am hatching 44 Bobwhite quail. I am a teacher and my school has partnered with our local nature preserve to try and repopulate the Bobwhite quail on Long Island. I have been hatching them for three years now. Of course this year, the hatching fell during the Memorial Day weekend so I have the incubator home.

Anyway, I am at day 22 ... humidity level is at 70% and temp is 100 - which is perfect, I think. We hear light chirping but not visible signs of pipping. Should I be worried?

Question #2... several of the eggs look like this picture...should I be worried about them? I have never seen this.

Thanks!

Robb :)

Last edited:
you should not be worried some will hatch as early as 22 days, and as late as 25 days. after 25 days then you should start to be worried

Thanks...funny, after I posted this, I looked at the eggs again and saw a few with a small crack - so I feel good.

Anybody know what's up with the picture I posted?

Your temp is 100%? What temp is it at? Should be 99.7 F

Bobs hatch around 23-24 days. Just let things be for a few days. Give them till day 26. You can candle or do a float test after this to see if you have any viable eggs left. Good luck!

Thanks...sorry, the temp is 100 degrees not 100% - lol. Actually it fluctuates between 99 and 100 degrees. The humidity has been steady at 70%.

I am still baffled by the weird marks on a few of the eggs...they weren't that way a few days ago.

Are you using a forced air incubator or a still air? 100 degrees is too high for forced air.

Funky discolored eggs usually don't hatch. So those should be discarded. For now, just leave them be till the hatching is all over. :)

still air.

the temp is steady as is the humidity.

i am a little nervous because the peeping has stopped...can't hear a thing...hoping they are okay. I guess time will tell!

still nothing. I don't hear as much chirping. I am starting to get worried. Today is the official day they should hatch...time will tell. Woke up and temp in incubator dropped to 97.7%...we had a cold night here in NY. Got temp back up to 99.8 within an hour.

WOO! HOO!! My first chick has hatched and looks perfect. Hopefully more will follow!

Congrats on the new baby! They don't always hatch on time. Sometimes they come too early and sometimes they come so late you have nearly given up on them. LOL

Keeping the fingers crossed that more hatch. :)

Back
Top Bottom