Make sure she keeps swimming too...tho you don't want the spray/whatever you are using to get rid of them to come off.... I thought that if ducks swim it will drown the fleas and ticks...maybe I heard wrong...

I just found a tick attached right under my Pekin Ducks eye. I have injectable Ivermectin and I also have some permethrin spray and powder. I worry about treating their duck house and her with the spray or powder because the duck house is on a "peninsula" like piece of land that sticks out in the pond. I worry about permethrin getting in the pond. Maybe I should get a bottle of Ivermectin pour on. I didn't know that ticks were ever a problem for ducks, so I am so happy to find info here. I wonder if they get ticks all over their bodies or if it's generally around the eyes? I taped the tick and placed it in the fridge, just in case
20200815_211758.jpg

Let me see if I can find a better picture of the possible tick. I can get a picture of her head in the morning. It looks like a tick to me, but I'm not familiar with those fleas. I'll look them up. It looks like one of those dog ticks that gets engorged on blood as it stays on a dog, but more like the size of #2 pencil lead.

@casportpony I Googled StickTight Fleas and I believe you are correct. This is the first time I've heard of these. I'm going to treat their duck house now and I'll treat them as well. I have Elector PSP, Ivermectin (injectable), Pymethrin powder, Pymethrin spray, and seven dust. I know that some of these are toxic to fish. Their duck house is on a small and narrow piece of land that juts out into the pond (peninsula? But small pond size) and the pond surrounds their house on 3 sides (no flooding risk). I normally rake bedding from inside their house to their run. I imagine that run off is highly likely, especially after the rain we've been getting. I am comfortable treating the ducks with whatever will work best, but I worry about treating their house with something that will be toxic to our fish. What do you suggest? Thank you so much

I'm going to treat their duck house now and I'll treat them as well. I have Elector PSP, Ivermectin (injectable), Pymethrin powder, Pymethrin spray, and seven dust. I know that some of these are toxic to fish.
I'd guess that they all, and most insecticides, are.

I am comfortable treating the ducks with whatever will work best, but I worry about treating their house with something that will be toxic to our fish.
Might have to remove birds to another location before treating.

Back
Top Bottom