Okay, it's been a bit longer than I intended before giving you an update, we gave Snowflake the vitamin complex once for 5 days as per the maximum recommendation on the bottle, unfortunately improvement appears to have been minimal. I fear that it may be perosis as @casportpony and @Miss Lydia mentioned so I've been trying to get my mum to allow me to take Snowflake to the vet to get it checked out but my mother doesn't think the life of a duck is worth it. Is there anything I can do to help the duck recover if it is perosis without taking them to the vet?

Like I said, Googling like a mother-ducker. Check this:

http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon

If you look back on this thread you’ll see we already have the info. Waiting for op to actually examine the leg to see if she can feel the tendon slipped off the bone. Hopefully that will tell us if it def is perosis.

Except for the leg and being now notably smaller (although still growing as far as I can tell) than Snowball then Snowflake seems otherwise healthy, they're eating and drinking just fine, they love the pond. The leg is causing quite major issues though, because of it Snowflake can't walk far and I have to carry them to get them to the pond.

I'll have a look at the leg later when they have their pre-bedtime swim.

If you look back on this thread you’ll see we already have the info. Waiting for op to actually examine the leg to see if she can feel the tendon slipped off the bone. Hopefully that will tell us if it def is perosis.

I know, my idea was to go ahead and treat it in a benign way by maybe applying the "figure 8" bandage and feeding Snowflake supplemental manganese with reduced calcium. Apparently the earlier you start treatment for this condition, the more likely you are to get a positive outcome. And if it isn't this, then it's still no harm done.

Back
Top Bottom