Unwell peahen HELP

Teepea

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
Melbourne, Tyabb
recently my peahen has been acting strange. She is uninterested in food and I’m not sure if she’s been drinking. She seems tired as every time I find her she is sitting down additionally she usually roosts in a tree but has taken to sleeping on the window. She’s usually quite bossy but is acting out of nature and almost sad like. She recently lost her male companion and is out only peafowl now ( wondering if she may be lonely?) please help! ( ps. No other signs of sickness)

I would isolate her as soon as possible keeping her under a controlled setting where you can monitor her. Allow her to get under a heat lamp(depending on climate), give her scrambled eggs for extra protein and yogurt for probiotics, I would also put electrolytes in her water. Supply us with a picture at times peafowl will dusplay weakness or sickness with droopy wings/tail(this can also be due to egg laying).
Has she been wormed?
Check for mites and lice on her skin.
How old is she?
What do you feed her?
Where do you live what kind of climate are we looking at?
Listen to her breathing any raspyness?
Look for nasl discharge and mucus in throat.
Lastly what does her poo look like?
Sorry for so many questions this could very well be a case of loneliness but we just want to make sure it’s nothing more serious.

Ive isolated her in the chook pen. She has scrambled eggs, plain yoghurt, and electrolytes in her water. I saw her drink this morning but she is still uninterested in food. I live in Melbourne Australia and it is about 30 degrees Celsius today. She has shade and cool water. She appears not to have any difficulty breathing or swallowing, there is no discharge either. She did lay a clutch of 4 eggs about a month ago and she tried to sit but they were unfertilised so I took them from her. She is about 5 years old, she hasn’t been wormed recently, doesn’t seem to have any mites or lice. She is feed dog biscuits, corn, sunflower seeds and game bird mix. She is also free range, so she gets grass and bugs. She doesn’t seem to have done many poos due to not eating much, but the few she does are fairly watery.

D49AE2BA-0F70-4EBB-84AF-5AB30594A9BB.jpeg

Attachments

• 2E5D5577-607C-4305-8D32-0CA8217C2067.jpeg
    2E5D5577-607C-4305-8D32-0CA8217C2067.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Mhhh well I’d start off getting a wormer over here a lot of pea breeders use safeguard for goats. Around 2 ml orally for an adult peahen I believe and then redose again in 10 days. From the image she definitely doesn’t look normal I would check for any diarrhea. Even though it doesn’t sound like an infection I would get an antibiotic such as Tylan50 just incase (mainly for respiratory infections but works wonders).

Back
Top Bottom