*Updated pics of fluffy chicks pg 13!* Starting the final countdown

Ok, I had a gut feeling and opened the view window and quickly rotated the egg, so that it at least was facing more "open" space for the chick to hatch.
Here's what I did:
Chick003.jpg

I sure hope I did the right thing. I was looking in the bator, wishing I'd see the chick move when all of a sudden it did a big "kick" and started chirping!! It was so loud! lol. And it sounded mad, so I took that as a sign to move it so it would have more room.
idunno.gif
big_smile.png
I opened one of the viewing windows and only lost 1% humidity. It's at about 74% now. Is that ok?

Will update in a bit...

Thanks, Wendy!!
smile.png
At what age can you tell the sex?
I am so grateful I have you guys here with me, I would go crazy on my own!!
big_smile.png

DH is on his way home, he sounds really excited that one pipped.
big_smile.png
Even though he pretends he's not really all that excited. *lol*

The membrane is still covering up it's beak or whatever that is sticking out. That's worrying me. I know when they pip through the air cell they start breathing oxygen, but what if they never pip into the air cell? Like this one who is pipping to the side?

I think I might break the membrane a bit if it hasn't done anything else in an hour...

Does the membane look dried out or is it still moist? This little guy hasn't been pipped terribly long so I would say it is alright unless it is dried out. I had to help some of mine brreak through the membrane when I had humidity issues because it was dry and hard, but I wouldn't if it was soft. I do know the incubator needs to stay closed unless it is an emergency. A nice strong drink, perhaps (for you, not the chicken).
smile.png

Do you have a way to add water without opening the bator? I KNOW it is soooooooo hard to take the hands off approach but it is best.
sad.png
However, I WILL admit, if it comes down to it and I KNOW they won't hatch without help, I help. But I have to know it is right first. Right now he sounds like he is doing fine. that loud chirp means he is good and strong and getting plenty of air.
smile.png

Last edited:
Ok, as long as y'all think it's getting air than i think it's fine. The membrane is very moist looking, not white and "papery".

Good news, ANOTHER PIP!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif
DH said he just heard chirping so I went in there and there's another pip, this time in the right spot!!
yippiechickie.gif

I just added a bit more water. No, I don't have to open it up, luckily. I have the LG still air so I just open the vent (big one up top) and use a syringe and straw to add water to sponges that I have in there. I'm getting really happy now. *lol* I hope I'll get to see them tonight!

Edited to add the pic of pip #2
Chick2001.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so happy for you GK!
I can't wait to see your darlings first photos!

I have 7 out of my 12 out so far, 2 died in progress of zipping I'm pretty sure, and there are 3 left unpipped. It's been well over 24 hours since the first pip so I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the last 3.

Keep us update, we're all pullin' for you.

Back
Top Bottom