URGENT!! SICK CHICK! NEED HELP! URGENT!!

got 4 little chicks a couple of weeks back. They are really small so I've kept them in heat lamp which they seem to enjoy a lot.
But, suddenly last week, one of them got sick. I couldn't figure out what happened to it but it seems he had congestion. He kept sneezing and grasping for air. I isolated it immediately. Cleaned and sterilized the whole area for the other three. He died in a couple of day.
Other three seemed to do fine until day before yesterday, another little baby started stretching out his neck, opening his mouth.
I still isolated him as he was sneezing as well. Then yesterday, there was so much mucus in his mouth that he could not open his beak. It was transparent and thick. I cleared it with a Q-tip, after which he breathed a little then he sneezed and shook his head really hard and the mucus came back.
Today, third of my chick is stretching his neck and sneezing.
I don't keep them inside all day. I let them out at least thrice daily for an hour or two so they can run around and flap their wings.
Looks weak, keeps sneezing and keeps stretching his neck and opening his beak out.
The temp inside is around 37-38 degree Celsius.
supposed they should be 2 - 3 weeks old
They are 2-3 weeks old - temp is 37-38 C that's 96-98F! Reduce your heat. Are chicks using the heat at all?
Not sure about the Tungsten bulb, those get very hot.

What are you feeding the chicks?
I don't see mucous....I do see a chick that looks like it might hiccup every once in a while and has a full crop.

Get us some photos of the poop.

Do they have grit?

We have a couple of antibiotics here. I have started the one that is for chickens just now. Will keep them on it for 5 days (that is what the instruction says). I hope he survives.
Thats perfect what your doing now you just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best But I think you have a good chance. Good luck!

Can anyone here suggest anything for weakness? What should I feed him so he regains his strength?
He is eating his starter feed and water he takes has minerals in it. Yet, he looks very weak. Would stop and close his eyes after walking a little. Not running or jumping like he did a before he got sick.
I would give little bit of a sports drink like gatorade, the electolytes and sugar can give the chick help.

The feed is simple starter feed for chicks.
They use the heat when they want, they come out when they feel its enough. The bulb is 15W, smallest that there is. I don't think that is a problem though but I will reduce the temperature still.

Poop looks fine now. I will take photos and send you after a while. The poop is normal solid, usually brown or dark brown.

Yes, there is no mucus or runny nose for now. This looks like hiccup but it is not going away. The chick sneezes as in this video:
Please watch carefully, he opens his mouth to breathe and then sneezes.
What does his crop feel like?

It could be respiratory disease, hard to tell...if you feel that's the problem and you don't have vet care, then you can try Tylosin, Tetracycline (Oxy/Doxy) or Tiamulin to see if that makes a difference. Antibiotics will only treat bacterial respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Respiratory distress can be also be fungal or viral - then antibiotics won't help.

Crop issues, if the crop is not emptying, then aspiration of fluids into the crop can also cause respiratory distress. Other things like Canker or yeast infection could cause the mucous too.

What does his crop feel like?

It could be respiratory disease, hard to tell...if you feel that's the problem and you don't have vet care, then you can try Tylosin, Tetracycline (Oxy/Doxy) or Tiamulin to see if that makes a difference. Antibiotics will only treat bacterial respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Respiratory distress can be also be fungal or viral - then antibiotics won't help.

Crop issues, if the crop is not emptying, then aspiration of fluids into the crop can also cause respiratory distress. Other things like Canker or yeast infection could cause the mucous too.

His crop was empty in the morning. I will keep observing it.
Thank you for the advice. I will start the antibiotic and make sure it gets all nutrition. Please pray that he get well.
Thank you again.

[PS if there is any suggestion you'd like to give to keep them healthy, please do tell me. Thanks again]

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to your chicks. I don't have any advice to offer, unfortunately, but I just wanted to drop in to say hello and wish you luck with your chicks.
So, hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens, and good luck with your chicks. I hope that they pull through.

Back
Top Bottom