URGENT!! SICK CHICK! NEED HELP! URGENT!!

Pics

fareeha

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2020
Karachi
Hi!
I am Fareeha. I have been raising chicken for a long while now. Back in time, we had a group of 8 chickens, then we moved. Now we only have 2 grown up healthy hens.
We got 4 little chicks a couple of weeks back. They are really small so I've kept them in heat lamp which they seem to enjoy a lot.
But, suddenly last week, one of them got sick. I couldn't figure out what happened to it but it seems he had congestion. He kept sneezing and grasping for air. I isolated it immediately. Cleaned and sterilized the whole area for the other three. He died in a couple of day.
Other three seemed to do fine until day before yesterday, another little baby started stretching out his neck, opening his mouth. I know they do it like we yawn but his was different it was painful. I thought h might have had something stick in his throat. I check by looking down in his mouth but all seemed fine. I still isolated him as he was sneezing as well. Then yesterday, there was so much mucus in his mouth that he could not open his beak. It was transparent and thick. I cleared it with a Q-tip, after which he breathed a little then he sneezed and shook his head really hard and the mucus came back. I kept clearing it and tried feeding it with a dropper but he did not survive.
Today, third of my chick is stretching his neck and sneezing.
I don't keep them inside all day. I let them out at least thrice daily for an hour or two so they can run around and flap their wings. The time they are out, either I or my sister watch them. I don't think he ate something that's caused problem. He was fine yesterday, running and jumping then suddenly he stopped and started stretching his neck, then he would close his eyes and sit in a corner. But after a couple of minutes, he'd come out, and walk slowly like a sick weak chick. Since morning, today, he is same. Looks weak, keeps sneezing and keeps stretching his neck and opening his beak out.
I have no idea what to do. I want to save these two that remain! I want them to grow up like the others.
Please help me! I need help ASAP!

[P.S. Their cage and all the surrounding was sterilized again yesterday. They have wood shavings on their cage floor. They are on starter feed. Addition to this, we do not have a vet in this city as I am from a city where vet services are not available. I have to treat the babies on my own. ]

Please post pics of your brooder.
What kind of heat lamp are you using?
What did you use to 'sterilize'?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584099595194.png

Hi. Thank you for a prompt response.
Now answering your questions.
  • My father actually got them for a family who raises them near the place where dad works. The two hens were brought from the same family as week old chicks.
  • Brooder is basically a small tungsten bulb. A proper heat lamp isn't available anywhere since the supply stopped from China. The temp inside is around 37-38 degree Celsius.
  • I don't really know there exact age. Dad forgot to ask when he brought them. I supposed they should be 2 - 3 weeks old. I am attaching video, you may know better when you'll see them
  • Sterilize? I washed the whole area (floor, cage etc) with soap and water then mopped it with Dettol Liquid. They were out when I cleaned it.
  • I live in Karachi, Pakistan. The average temp here, these days, is 25 to 30 degree Celsius.
He is now getting weaker as hours pass by.

Links to videos:

Attachments

• sdsad.jpg
    sdsad.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 6
Definitley sounds like something respiratory, What shavings are you using? It is a good idea to use ones without much of a fragrance, Cedar, for example can hamper breathing.

Hi!
I don't really know the exact name of the wood. Actually, the store guy from who we bought or cockatiels, gave us these to be kept in the laying box. It has a very dull smell if i bring a handful to my nose to sniff.

Hi!
I am Fareeha. I have been raising chicken for a long while now. Back in time, we had a group of 8 chickens, then we moved. Now we only have 2 grown up healthy hens.
We got 4 little chicks a couple of weeks back. They are really small so I've kept them in heat lamp which they seem to enjoy a lot.
But, suddenly last week, one of them got sick. I couldn't figure out what happened to it but it seems he had congestion. He kept sneezing and grasping for air. I isolated it immediately. Cleaned and sterilized the whole area for the other three. He died in a couple of day.
Other three seemed to do fine until day before yesterday, another little baby started stretching out his neck, opening his mouth. I know they do it like we yawn but his was different it was painful. I thought h might have had something stick in his throat. I check by looking down in his mouth but all seemed fine. I still isolated him as he was sneezing as well. Then yesterday, there was so much mucus in his mouth that he could not open his beak. It was transparent and thick. I cleared it with a Q-tip, after which he breathed a little then he sneezed and shook his head really hard and the mucus came back. I kept clearing it and tried feeding it with a dropper but he did not survive.
Today, third of my chick is stretching his neck and sneezing.
I don't keep them inside all day. I let them out at least thrice daily for an hour or two so they can run around and flap their wings. The time they are out, either I or my sister watch them. I don't think he ate something that's caused problem. He was fine yesterday, running and jumping then suddenly he stopped and started stretching his neck, then he would close his eyes and sit in a corner. But after a couple of minutes, he'd come out, and walk slowly like a sick weak chick. Since morning, today, he is same. Looks weak, keeps sneezing and keeps stretching his neck and opening his beak out.
I have no idea what to do. I want to save these two that remain! I want them to grow up like the others.
Please help me! I need help ASAP!

[P.S. Their cage and all the surrounding was sterilized again yesterday. They have wood shavings on their cage floor. They are on starter feed. Addition to this, we do not have a vet in this city as I am from a city where vet services are not available. I have to treat the babies on my own. ]
I have experienced that with one of my chicks before and it spread to the others and my bigger chickens What I did is found chicken antibiotics and fed it that there is somthing like that if you search it up and when you get it there is intructions on how to use it and how much to give it you have to keep them on it for a least 4 days or somthing. I hope that might help it saved on of my chickens life with that same sickness.

Can
I have experienced that with one of my chicks before and it spread to the others and my bigger chickens What I did is found chicken antibiotics and fed it that there is somthing like that if you search it up and when you get it there is intructions on how to use it and how much to give it you have to keep them on it for a least 4 days or somthing. I hope that might help it saved on of my chickens life with that same sickness.

Can you tell me the name of that antibiotic? Please?

Back
Top Bottom