This morning she is worse...very weak and hasn't moved at all, she is scarcely breathing. I can't feel any egg but bathed her anyway. She seems unable to move either leg or wing at all now and hasn't even opened an eye. I doubt that she will lay an egg now even if that's the problem. I'm taking her to the vet but its not looking good :( Thanks so much to everyones' advise - I will do my best :)

I would not do any more baths. That can push a very weak chicken over the edge. You can place her on a thick towel placed on a heating pad on LOW, which may allow her to pass an egg, if she is egg bound. If would still offer electrolyte water up to her beak. They can get infections or tumors that sometimes can press on nerves, but anything is possible.

I found with a different hen lately that I found very lethargic. That I could when her beak was down at least to 45 degrees if I very carelfully introduced her beak about halfway or a little less that she would swallow whatever tiny amount of electrolyte water entered the beak. it was a slow process but on the bright side that hen did recover with vitamins and electrolyte water and in about 4 days was back to her sassy self somthing to try if you don't feel confident in either sub q or tubing fluids in. I need smaller needles so I can try last ditch sub q fluids. Still praying for her and your heart

This morning she is worse...very weak and hasn't moved at all, she is scarcely breathing. I can't feel any egg but bathed her anyway. She seems unable to move either leg or wing at all now and hasn't even opened an eye. I doubt that she will lay an egg now even if that's the problem. I'm taking her to the vet but its not looking good :( Thanks so much to everyones' advise - I will do my best :)
Hi your hen feeling better?

I found with a different hen lately that I found very lethargic. That I could when her beak was down at least to 45 degrees if I very carelfully introduced her beak about halfway or a little less that she would swallow whatever tiny amount of electrolyte water entered the beak. it was a slow process but on the bright side that hen did recover with vitamins and electrolyte water and in about 4 days was back to her sassy self somthing to try if you don't feel confident in either sub q or tubing fluids in. I need smaller needles so I can try last ditch sub q fluids. Still praying for her and your heart
You cannot give subcutaneous fluids unless they are sterile ones like are used in hospital or vet office. Those are in bags of normal saline and lactated ringers. A 20 or 22 gauge needle would be sufficient for subcutaneous or hypodermaclysis fluids. If you had a sterile vial of saline, that might also work. But you cannot give water at all, or normal saline that is not sterile. You may be perfectly aware of all of that, but I just wanted to point that out, not to insult your intelligence.

You cannot give subcutaneous fluids unless they are sterile ones like are used in hospital or vet office. Those are in bags of normal saline and lactated ringers. A 20 or 22 gauge needle would be sufficient for subcutaneous or hypodermaclysis fluids. If you had a sterile vial of saline, that might also work. But you cannot give water at all, or normal saline that is not sterile. You may be perfectly aware of all of that, but I just wanted to point that out, not to insult your intelligence.
Yes Thanks for the response I do know it has to be sterile saline or ringers. My hold up is actually getting around to ordering it and the apropriate syringes and needles. I read on here that it could be done and want to be prepared but haven't gotten it yet. Do you know of a price efficieint place to order those? Think I actually found them on Amazone but just haven't ordered them yet.

I Too am wondering how it's going with the sick hen I fear the worst when posters don't come back to these. Hope all is well

Hi everyone,
My little hen was sadly put to sleep on Sunday after I took her to the vet. She turned out to have a burst air sack near her neck which had filled her chest with air and I suspect she also had a reproductive infection. I was devastated to let her go but she was so clearly suffering and was so weak, the vets told me nothing could be done for her :( I am so sad she only got to live outside of the battery farm for a couple of months before she fell ill but at least she got to see some freedom :love
Thank you to everyone who helped me try and save her, I just wish there was something I could have done :(
Rest in Peace to my little Violet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom