Ut Oh! I think I got a Roo! *Many Pics*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Connorrm, May 22, 2011.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    So here is the culprit. Came out of the "red pullets" bin at TSC. WAY bigger than all my other chicks (including the Sp. Sussex that I know for sure is a Roo boy) plus a very lightly pink color coming in and I think I"m seeing wattles! Estimated Hatch Date of 4/24 or 4/25:

Also, seems to have a lot of neat pattern to it for a production red.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's one of my favorite speckled sussex girl. She runs to my hand the second it comes in the brood and just sits in it. So, I always pick her up and she perches on my fingers for a neck and back massage! 99% sure she's a pullet. I have 7 other Sp. Sussex the boys have pink tinges to their combs and wattles coming in already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    The chick in question looks just like my three Production Red chicks, feather-wise. They're ten days older than yours. I bought them as pullets, but one is a roo. I began to suspect in the second week when s/he was so much slower to feather than the other two (although s/he was much smaller). The comb is MUCH more pronounced than the other two now. Here's how s/he (oh, who am I kidding...HE) looked two days ago, at 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

His tail is also different than the other two; the feathers are long and pointed, rather than poofy and rounded. And that's how Ruby became Rudy.

3. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Are production reds sex linked..or only used to make sex links?

4. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I would say that your PR is a pullet. They do grow much faster because they are hybrid

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I agree. It looks much more like my two pullets than my roo. And I don't think Production Reds are sex linked because, if they were, I wouldn't have a (^@&$^%*@^&^!!!!) roo.

6. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Ahh okay - guess she's just an early maturer - good to know. Just really towers over the other chicks and they all started off the same size when I got them.

What about all the black speckling/lacing. Is that normal? I guess I pictured them being more solid red colored.

7. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Would you mind posting photos of your Speckled Sussex roos? I have one SS about the same age as yours and I'm questioning gender. Your photos would be helpful for comparison. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    RHS - Let me run down and snap a few photos for you [​IMG]

9. Connorrm

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Here are my "roo" Sp. Sussex - well that's what I think they are anyway. They have a bright pink coming in and wattles forming where others don't. They also seem very thick in the legs.

I really love my chicks they are so stinkin' friendly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, I feel like I can really see the pinkish/red coming in the "roos" that seems to be lacking in all my other chicks. Plus, the wattles

10. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Thanks so much for posting your photos! I have to say, though, that with the possible exception of the last chick, I really think you have pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by