1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Very Scary Info...any confirmation?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FrizzleFreak, Mar 20, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Okayk, so a friend of mine went to the eye doctor, and somehow they got to talking about chickens. The doctor said that he could tell if somebody had chickens just by looking in their eyes. Apparently, there is a bacteria that all chickens carry and cannot be eliminated (well, obviously you could kill the chicken). THe bacteria attacks human retinas. Seriously, the doctor said that chicken people would have messed up retinas. THis isn't enough to get me to get rid of my birds, but it has kinda shaken me up. Can anybody alleviate my fears?

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I don't know...kinda freakyy,,,,oh well love my birds.

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I have read about histoplasmosis & do not recall seeing anything about eye problems.
    Lung problems, yes.

4. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    That's pretty freaky! Did he say that it would cause blindness or anything?

5. FrizzleFreak

It wasn't histoplasmosis, I know a bit about that, but I'd never heard of this. I do however know a lot of chicken people, and very few of them have eye problems.
    P.S.I'll have to ask my friend again. However I have a different friend who's retina FELL OUT!! [​IMG] She's fine now.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  6. serendipity22

serendipity22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    NC
    the only problem I have is keeping my shoes clean... (and the car...)

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Um, what kind of doctor is this.

Also, the concept is a bit silly because you do not have to have chickens to have been exposed to them and their alleged bacteria.

Also also, if being around chickens inevitably (or even just 'often') caused some sort of disorder that destroyed your retinas, we would know about this already, would we not, being as many many people have had many many chickens for many many generations [​IMG]

Deeply deeply skeptical (although willing to imagine that there may exist something very vaguely like this but many details got severely lost in the translation somewhere)

Pat

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  8. FrizzleFreak

The eye doctor that she and her children go to. Apparently it doesn't do enough damage to make you go blind, just enough for someone with a scope to notice? IDK

9. Jolly Acres

Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    Well I tried google to see what I could find.
    I found nothing.
    If I can't google it, I don't believe it..

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Sounds like a load of chicken poop to me.... I have been blind in one eye through an accident for 42 years.... my good eye is fine....listen to it all with a pinch of salt, but dont get it in your eye..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by