Very Unhappy with My Pet Chickens Egg Delivery

Dear Goldfinches:

WOW -- using a real chicken is actually not the ideal hatching situation!? I had no idea. (Obviously, I've not done this before). So, next time I try this, order the eggs, don't sweat it if they take 3-4 days to arrive, and put them in a controlled incubator?

Thanks!

I've hatched eggs out of my own fridge many times. It's possible you were sold bad eggs, or that the broody didn't do a good job (did she really sit on them for 5 weeks? or was that a typo?), or that the post office scrambled them, but the wait at the post office was almost for sure not the problem. I've had eggs take a week to get here that hatched fine.

If you've got a broody you might want to try her with local eggs first before spending the big bucks on eggs. Just to make sure she does a good job! :)

Dear Goldfinches:

WOW -- using a real chicken is actually not the ideal hatching situation!? I had no idea. (Obviously, I've not done this before). So, next time I try this, order the eggs, don't sweat it if they take 3-4 days to arrive, and put them in a controlled incubator?

Thanks!
Depends on the chicken. I've had bad broodies and great broodies! I use an incubator for expensive eggs but that's just me. If you have a great and proven hen, then use her with the expensive shipped eggs (and check out the auctions here - you'll have a chance of getting better quality birds than hatchery and it will probably cost less).

Dear Goldfinches:

Thanks!
Broody hens can do an excellent job at hatching eggs and raising chicks. But, not all hens are good broodies. Some get off the nest too much or switch nests. Some quit too early due to stress or poor condition. Some poop on the eggs, break the eggs (even eat them) and sadly trample or kill newly hatched chicks.

When left to nature, hens that are poor setters just don't pass on their genetics to the next generation. But, many breeds have had these instincts bred out of them in the interest of producing more eggs. Hens that go broody will sometimes take months to start laying eggs again and that's why that trait has been bred out of some breeds.

For expensive and/or shipped eggs it's a good idea to use incubators (of good quality) because they more reliable and the conditions are more controlled. If you do decide to use a broody, check out some of the threads about Broody hens like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ody-hen-hatch-a-long-and-informational-thread

You can find some good tips on how manage broody hens and how to help the hen be more successful at hatching eggs.

Good luck with your next eggs
fl.gif
you have a better hatch the second time around.

I routinely order eggs, and have had better luck hatching eggs in the winter than in the late spring or summer. One thing you must remember is to let the eggs sit small end down for 24 hours at room temperature before trying to hatch. I live in Michigan and have received eggs during a very cold February without a heat pack and had no problems hatching. I have been afraid that a heat pack would cause problems (start them incubating) is this not a problem?

I didn't order eggs, but I ordered day old chicks from mypetchicken.com- it was a great experience. The chicks were packed safely and securely, arrived promptly and warm. I ordered a rare marans variety and got 3 out of 4 varities

To everyone who has replied -- I cannot thank you enough for teaching me these things! I have learned so much! Small end down! Incubators vs broodies. Hatching out of refrigerators! WoW!

We are going to wait till spring and then get some local chicks hatched by the person from whom we buy our farm eggs (for eating); she also hatches chicks and so we'll start there, with chicks that have a little maturity to them and might be a bit more resilient as we mere humans learn the ways of birds.

We will definitely be using these forums and this site A LOT. Thanks so much!!

I also have hatched eggs from refrigerated eggs. I always get better results from shipped eggs during the winter of course there can be so many variables to shipped eggs though. It does seem they stay fresher cool than warm before they go into the incubator. I do always bring mine up to room temperature before I put them into the incubator.

To everyone who has replied -- I cannot thank you enough for teaching me these things! I have learned so much! Small end down! Incubators vs broodies. Hatching out of refrigerators! WoW!

We are going to wait till spring and then get some local chicks hatched by the person from whom we buy our farm eggs (for eating); she also hatches chicks and so we'll start there, with chicks that have a little maturity to them and might be a bit more resilient as we mere humans learn the ways of birds.

We will definitely be using these forums and this site A LOT. Thanks so much!!
That's a good plan. When you get a broody, probably in another year, you can try hatching under her again, but give her a small batch the first time.

Back
Top Bottom