vicious pitbull

I'll preface this with a request for documentation if anyone has it to dispute my facts. Seriously. If I'm wrong, I definitely would like to learn the truth.

First, according to Al W. Stinson, D.V. M., there is no such thing as a "locking" jaw in any breed.

Also, various dog breeds and other animals have had their jaw strength tested. For comparison, Humans have 120 pounds of bit pressure. Also:

Wild dogs: 310 lbs
Lions: 600lbs
Snapping turtles: 1000 lbs

Dogs, on average, have 320 lbs of pressure. The breeds that were tested for this report were the German Shepherd, Rottweiler and American Pit Bull Terrier. Of these three tested, the APBT had the least jaw pressure.

http://understand-a-bull.com/PitbullInformation/Urbanlegends.htm

Also, although there are no totally reliable records on dog bites, mostly because so many go unreported and untreated, of those that have been reported, most unprovoked bites are from Chow Chows. Most deaths, while varying somewhat year to year and area to area, are from Nordic breeds.

1) the term I used "locking" is the wrong term to be accurate. They are bred to NOT let go, unlike other breeds.
2) Not to argue but I've seen NON-prejudiced reports where their jaw strength is much greater than other breeds.

Answer if according to this article, they don't bite any harder than an average dog, why do you think they are used for fighting and not a small quick terrier or a large breed like bull mastiff? Please answer and don't just ignore questions you don't want to answer as other posters have done.

Don't protray me as someone who doesn't like pits because you would be wrong. Owners need to be aware of their liabilities and act accordingly.

From your own article written by Pit Bull association.

THE FIGHT:

There comes a time in the life of every dog, be it a small terrier
or the powerful APBT, when it will get into some sort of a scrap.
Those of you who frequent dog shows for the APBT will no doubt
eventually be witness to dogs getting loose and starting a fight.
So, what happens when they are serious? Well, each dog will bite
the other, take hold and start to shake its head punishingly.
It is so serious that in most cases nothing you do will cause the
dog/grump to give up that precious hold! Nothing! Choking, shocking,
etc...It just doesn't matter!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier nice article on the breed.

Last edited:
Quote:
More passive to humans than any other breed of dog? I'm sorry but that is ludicrous, and again shows the danger of pitbull owners who assume their dogs are angelic because they haven't bitten anyone..yet. If it were the case, nobody would ever have been harmed by a pitbull, and you wouldn't be trying to defend the breed. You are doing any dog a disservice to assume that it always knows how to behave in any situation. You're the owner, not the other way around i'd hope.

Like I said before, it gives me chills to hear all the 'wonderful' stories of what people's pitbulls have let children do to them. They are animals and deserve respect as such, not living teddy bears. My dogs have never displayed any sign of aggression and are trained SAR dogs, but I owe it to them not to leave them alone with any children. They might not set a child straight who got near their food bowl, but I sure would.

I don't want to ignore your question but I am a little pressed for time. Today is my daughter's 15th birthday and I'm taking Maggie and her friend ice-skating this evening so forgive me if my answer isn't as thorough as it ought to be. Also, my favorite APBT book, by Richard Stratton, isn't sitting here on my desk where it should be so I'll do the best I can without it right now.

In a nutshell, the "sport" (I use the term reluctantly) began as bear- and bull-baiting (in England). The dogs didn't actually kill the bear or bull but "baited" it and tired it out. Although the Mastiff was a tough hunting or guard dog due to its size, it was much too slow to avoid injury from an enraged bull or bear.

The cross breed between the terrier and the bull dog produced agility and gameness, the prey drive of the terrier with the loyalty and strength of the bull dog. Initially, they were call the "Bull and Terrier" dogs. (By strength, I don't mean any special jaw strength but an overall muscular body)

The history is longer than that, of course. Today's APBT is very similar to the dog from the 1920's in this country. The AKC does not recognize the breed but the British Kennel Club does.

And owners of every animal ought to be aware of liabilities. Cute little kittens grow up to be cats who can cause injury from scratching. I've seen that damage first hand, too and it required several surgical procedures to repair the 4 year old's face. Anyone who owns an animal - any animal - needs to be responsible.

I have a Pitt bull we have had for over 8 years, she is a sweetheart, My son bred and raised Pitts but he was very careful what he bred his females to, and he was also very careful who he sold his dogs to. Mia does not know she is supposed to fight to protect herself. The dogs on the hill behind us came down and jumped on her, she just turned over and let them bite, her, I had big vet bills for a dog that only wants to be loved, I also have a Yorkie that is really more vicious than my pit, but they live together just fine, but again we have no children that live with us , but my great granddaughter is always in and out and Mia watches her when she is down here, Mia is very protective of Kristen, and she would probably hurt someone if she thought they were going to hurt Kristen, but other wise I'm not afraid to leave them together any time.
smile.png

Go enjoy your daughter's B'day.

we agree on everyone should be responsible for their pet's actions.

To equate a kid getting their face scratched with a pit clamping on.................as long as you're responsible. I'll take my chances w/cats.
big_smile.png
Unless it's a lion cat as I knew a farmer that kept them and led them in town on leashes....

Last edited:
theres always going to be the "pitbulls are great" and "pitbulls are evil" sides. so lets just agree to disagree. even i was worried about getting a pit when we first got her. it was supposed to be a temp home for a few days but after one day I decided to keep her.

it's the media hype that gets me. one of the most aggressive, biting dogs is the cocker spaniel but they dont get media attention because they are such a sweet, cute looking dog.

all kinds of dogs bite for various reasons. my cousins 2 yr old was bit in the face by my aunts mutt a few weeks ago. the baby was trying to pull itself up and grabbed onto the dogs side and the dog bit him in the head.

heres a whole list of attacks by various breeds, theres even a kid who was attacked by a beagle on the list

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBreedBites/AllDogsBite.htm

anyway, glad you like the pics of my babygirl and "Beta" our pittie/lapdog

Cara, I'm not sure why you assumed I leave any child alone with my dog. I never left my older kids alone with my aunt's chihuahua either. I have six kids, a grandkid and Belle is my second non-rescued Pit Bull. (there have been some rescued ones, too, but they were placed after a while.) I know how to raise kids and animals in the same home but thank you for your concern.

Seedcorn, I can't find the reference that you quoted. Is it on that page or did you click another link? Just from what you posted, it seems to re-state the fact that pit bulls can have animal aggression. I don't think I ever denied that.

One dog we rescued (now living with my nephew and doing quite well) had a bad beginning and developed food aggression. The food aggression was the source of a few fights between her and my Belle. My then 15 year old son and I had to separate the two dogs each time they fought. Was it easy? No. Was it do-able? Of course. Pit Bulls are not savage beasts. They can be just as obedient as any other breed.

http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/personal_injury/dog-bite/law.html

Many
large dogs have the capability of bone snapping jaw pressures of 200 to 450 pounds per square inch, with pit bull jaws exerting triple that pressure. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said their studies show the one breed of dogs most likely to bite are pit bulls, followed by Rottweilers. Nearly one third of the dog bite victims that require emergency hospital treatment have been attacked by pit bulls.

Sorry, I chased links on the article to get better understanding of breed.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/breeds/apbt/part2/

There comes a time in the life of every dog, be it a small terrier or the powerful APBT, when it will get into some sort of a scrap.
Those of you who frequent dog shows for the APBT will no doubt eventually be witness to dogs getting loose and starting a fight.
So, what happens when they are serious? Well, each dog will bite the other, take hold and start to shake its head punishingly.
It is so serious that in most cases nothing you do will cause the dog/grump to give up that precious hold! Nothing! Choking, shocking, etc...It just doesn't matter!

The next paragraph tells you how to use stick to break the locked jaws......

own anything you want, just know what you are liable for. It's interesting that a lot of the articles written by "pit bull" breeders contest that they were bred for fighting. The breed came into being after "bull and bear bating" was ruled illegal, so they weren't bred for that.

Again, nothing will change, go enjoy the B'day party.

mustang,

one of the most aggressive, biting dogs is the cocker spaniel but they dont get media attention because they are such a sweet, cute looking dog.

I don't agee with this but I do agree that ALL dogs will bite, some worse than others. My only concern is when a cocker bites, it will then let go. Pits don't. Plus their bite is much more severe.

I've been around many pits with many different owners. As a rule they've been "sweet". I just know, just like a loaded gun, when they go off, they can do a lot of damage. I just get tired of when they do, the "pro" pit people claiming it's a misunderstood breed. Personally I LOVE the way they look.

Back
Top Bottom