vinegar as a wormer

elongoalie2002

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 29, 2013
Earlier today I was at my local feed store buying some more feed for my flock when I ran into an older gentleman whom during our conversation about chickens told me about an interesting use of vinegar. He told me that he uses Apple Cider Vinegar as a wormer instead of the wormers purchased at stores. He said that the ratio is appoximately 2 tablespoons for a 3 gallon waterer and 3 tablespoons for a 5 gallon waterer. He said to do this every three months and the chickens would be fine. Anyone else ever hear of this or have any other information about this?

Vinegar, DE, Catenne Pepper, Pumpkin Seeds & all manner of other things are proposed here as cures/preventatives for various poultry maladies. No one who proposes them ever offers any objective evidence of their effectiveness though. Instead, they'll say "I use ------- & none of my chickens have worms" [or whatever else they're claiming]. Unfortunately they never have a paralell flock that doesn't get the magic ingredient & does have worms [or whatever]. They can also never state what property the substance contains that explains why it would work as described.
IMO these claims are largely, if not totally, nonsense.
Think about it logically: how would a minute amount of vinegar in 5 gallons of water prevent worms?
If cayenne pepper increases egg production why don't the commercial feeds contain it? it's not an expensive commodity.
There's some good information on this site but there's also a lot of not so good information.

I have heard of it also. I know a guy who swears by it. Personally I can't see it having any effect as a de-wormer.

No one can prove asprin helps their headache but a lot of people take them. Maybe if they waited it would have went away on its own.

No one can prove asprin helps their headache but a lot of people take them. Maybe if they waited it would have went away on its own.

Well, actually, you can prove that aspirin is an effective analgesic: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22513905 is just one really quick reference. As a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory you can also demonstrate its mechanism of action as an anti-prostaglandin : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14592543 that means you know how it works.

There are no studies with regard to most folk treatments, just testimonials that they work. Will it hurt to give it? Most likely only if there is a heavy parasite load and you are using the vinegar as your only treatment when the hens would have been better off getting a documented parasiticide to eliminate the worms.

Last edited:
It's funny how many chicken folks swear by this, but I've never heard of doing it for any other animal......dog, cat, horse, goat, cow, pig.......I've looked into wormer alternatives and no one else is so passionate about this stuff as chicken folks!

It's funny how many chicken folks swear by this, but I've never heard of doing it for any other animal......dog, cat, horse, goat, cow, pig.......I've looked into wormer alternatives and no one else is so passionate about this stuff as chicken folks!

Actually, I have an adopted aunt who is always doing home cures for things. She takes ACV as a digestive aid when she gets a sour stomach.Acid stomach? Add in more acid!

Then again, she also doesn't think we actually walked on the moon either, so there ya go
hmm.png

Hello. I've only had my girls for about 2 years and use vinegar very time I fill there water. Never had a problem. I also use garlic. My sister and boyfriend are big fowl lovers and I useally go to them for advise. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom