We got our pigs!!! Heres a couple of pics!! <3

Quote:
Good luck with the dog leashes I tried.. Remember Tomatos are a big no no. The way you earn there trust is to keep then in a horse trailer for one week and then go in the trailer every single day and pet them feed them and clean up after them, the will get tame and start being more friendly.

Well I can already see that food does the trick!! LOL...they are seeming less afraid already. I just feel so bad to see them run all over shaking like leafs. I dont think they have saw many people or even sunlight. I think they will come around soon.
smile.png
Thanks for all your help!
smile.png
I am still gonna try the leash thing, not yet but maybe once they are settled in.
tongue.png

Used to raise pigs. Be careful around them when they are older. A sexually mature sow can be a sweatheart, but they can also be dangerous. Just watch it with them, and don't trust them. Some of the farmers have this old saying never trust a pig. As babies, they are a lot of fun.

Also, you don't need to put sun screen on a pig. I have never heard of that! Just make sure they have plenty of mud to wallow and play in, and they will be fine.

One other tip, pigs love oreo cookies. Should only be used strictly as treats. Give them one of them when you go to pet or handle them. They will come right up to you when they realize you have some nice tasty treats. I showed pigs in 4h. i learned the cookie trick when I was teaching my pig to walk, and be penned during showmanship.

I have 3 large black pigs (all sows), we are raising one for eating, and the other two sows will have piglets, and we will raise them to eat probably.

Pigs
love.gif
apples, its a great way to tame them!

Congrats on your little piggies, they're cute
love.gif

Thanks for the awesome tips!! We are so excited. We want to also have them have piglets to raise for food, but who knows. LOL...Like I said we got meat birds that should have already been slaughtered, but they are still here with the 100 other chickens. LOL. I am going to try an apple right now.
wink.png

If you are not comfortable with doing it yourselves, you can have a butcher do it for you. Or you can find a local hog market that will take them. Pigs have large litters. They can easily eat you out of house and home. If you ever get a boar, make sure oyu get one thats properly socialized and gentle. Because otherwise they will get mean. You will also have to learn how to clip their teeth, and to castrate them too. You can have a farmer, or a farm vet vet show you how. If you don't, those teeth will grow into tusks. And as I pionted out boars can be dangerous. However I will say a borrow(castrated boy pig) does make a very nice pet!

Quote:
I did hear about clipping the teeth. How do you know when to do it? Also, I read about a proper worming schedule. How often do you deworm them?

Its been years since i have raised pigs. But if I remember right, you do it when they are a couple of weeks old. Same with castrating. Make sure you do it where the sow can't get to you. I think we clipped the teeth on ours with side cutters. But again, have an experienced farmer show you how. Cause they will squeel and you will have one very angry momma on your hands.

I am not sure about the wormer. I think you can buy it mixed in with the feed.i don't remember if you are supposed to worm them or not.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom