We have babies galore! - with Pics

Congrats...they are adorable!
smile.png
The one little silky in the big pic. looks funny...like he's had a rough day...lol.

Aw....congrats!!!
thumbsup.gif

The little black one looks like a Black Sex-link chick or a BR mix to me. I had a hen hatch some BR mixes that looked just like that...I have pics on the bottom of my BYC page.
How big is it though? kinda looks about the same size as your silkie...is it a banty?

Hope the rest hatch well!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok this is good....the black and white ones are the BR's (Barred Rocks). Do you know what kind of rooster the daddy is?

If the hen it came from is a Barred Rock....then I betcha your black mystery chick is a GIRL!
smile.png

I learned from speckledhen that when you have a BR hen crossed to a different breed of rooster (like RIR) the babies will pretty much be sex-linked. (Commercial Black Sex-links or Black Stars are from a BR hen X RIR roo) Male chicks have a yellow spot on their heads and will have the barred (black and white striped) feathers when mature. Female chicks pretty much look black and grow up to have black feathers.
The little black chicks on the bottom of my BYC page all have Barred Rock mommas (the daddy is a mutt roo). All the female chicks were very dark like yours!

Last edited:
Quote:
Ok this is good....the black and white ones are the BR's (Barred Rocks). Do you know what kind of rooster the daddy is?

If the hen it came from is a Barred Rock....then I betcha your black mystery chick is a GIRL!
smile.png

Everyone in the pen the Mystery Egg came from looked alike black and white speckled. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom