Week old baby chick breathing hard and won't eat or drink):

madisonjh95

Chirping
May 31, 2018
Canyon, TX
I have four, week old baby chicks. They were all just fine yesterday but this morning I found one on the far side of the coop away from the light all sprawled out and breathing really hard. They're all pretty skittish but she didn't even flinch when I went to pick her up. She tweeted a little but never ran away from me which is unusual. She has had really horrible pasty butt all week and all of their poops have been a little foamy until just recently. Two days ago I observed them all have semi-solid, normal poops so I thought they were all gonna be just fine. My husband is keeping his eye on her today and said she refuses to eat or drink anything even when he dips her beak in the sugar water. I just found a recipe for some electrolyte water that he's gonna make but it won't help if she won't drink it. What could be wrong with her?? Her name is Amarilla, she's a Buff Orpington and I really, really don't want her to die. I love all my babies so much!!

268F3AD6-1555-4F58-A270-7C0EB3F4139E.jpeg
953F5935-2807-4CD5-B918-C8CE870E96F0.jpeg
Here’s some pictures my husband took this morning):

Attachments

• 58FCB686-7C6B-4A39-B413-4C0E56C0ABE7.jpeg
    58FCB686-7C6B-4A39-B413-4C0E56C0ABE7.jpeg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 5D80AD60-97D5-4158-B7CF-710B13676FF7.jpeg
    5D80AD60-97D5-4158-B7CF-710B13676FF7.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 0
Well I'm no chick expert, but I have had a chick do what you are describing and in the pictures. She passed away after two days. Sometimes chickens get sick and there is nothing we can do.
Hope Amarilla is okay:hugs
Hopefully someone will come along that can help you.

How hot is your brooder temperature? Temps should be 75 or less with a cooler spot to get to. A 4 week old shouldn’t normally be having pasty butt problems, unless they are dehydrated or overheated, or possibly if they have been eating bedding or sand that has caused some blockage. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell from the farm store if possible, and give a couple of drops a day. Keep forcing water by dipping the beak or holding a spoonful of water near the beak. Feel it’s crop in case it feel hard or impacted. A couple of drops of molasses or a chip of coconut oil would not hurt to give for a laxative. I hope you can save this chick.

How hot is your brooder temperature? Temps should be 75 or less with a cooler spot to get to. A 4 week old shouldn’t normally be having pasty butt problems, unless they are dehydrated or overheated, or possibly if they have been eating bedding or sand that has caused some blockage. I would get some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell from the farm store if possible, and give a couple of drops a day. Keep forcing water by dipping the beak or holding a spoonful of water near the beak. Feel it’s crop in case it feel hard or impacted. A couple of drops of molasses or a chip of coconut oil would not hurt for a laxative. I hope you can save this chick.
Not a four-week old. Four, week olds. As in one, two, three, four baby chickens all one week old.

Okay, sorry. Temps should be 85 or lower. The chick is probably suffering from shipping stress, from dehydration and low temps during travel. Even feed store chicks suffer this. Many times employees do not check for pasty butt. The NutriDrench would be good if you can get it, or use the homemade electrolytes. You may need to dip the beak aseveral times an hour, and offer food. Sometimes these chicks do not make it once the symptoms start. I really hope the chick makes it. I would also give the others some NutriDrench just in case.

Thank y’all for your responses. My husband just called and said that she didn’t make it): I don’t know what happened. She was growing fast and seemed to be so healthy!

Back
Top Bottom