Weird colored comb

Brittany Garcia

Hatching
Nov 30, 2020
My cuckoo maran’s comb is suddenly a weird color. She also very noticeably has lost a lot of feathers and she’s the only one out of my 11. Hard to say if she’s still laying because she’s not my only cuckoo maran. I’m definitely not getting as many brown eggs so my guess is she’s not and if she is then it’s few.

Attachments

• A5FD60B5-4EB2-4621-B1E2-C89DAB433A47.jpeg
    A5FD60B5-4EB2-4621-B1E2-C89DAB433A47.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 8
My cuckoo maran’s comb is suddenly a weird color. She also very noticeably has lost a lot of feathers and she’s the only one out of my 11. Hard to say if she’s still laying because she’s not my only cuckoo maran. I’m definitely not getting as many brown eggs so my guess is she’s not and if she is then it’s few.
She's molting. It's normal for their comb to shrink and become pale when they molt. You can see pin feather coming in around her face. And of course stop laying eggs.

She's molting. It's normal for their comb to shrink and become pale when they molt. You can see pin feather coming in around her face. And of course stop laying eggs.
Thanks for your response. I know molting is a normal thing right now but her comb seems bluish more than a pale color..could that also be molting or would it be just pale? I believe the picture posted.

Thanks for your response. I know molting is a normal thing right now but her comb seems bluish more than a pale color..could that also be molting or would it be just pale? I believe the picture posted.
It does not look bluish to me. Can you take a damp paper towel and wipe the comb and see if it's just dirt on it?

One of my super layers did the same thing. When she started molting her comb turned blueish. I thought she was ill but she remained perky and ate well. Since she was already a low ranking flock member, I isolated her and added more protein in her diet. It took about a month but she finally finished molting and her color has returned to normal. She looks like a different chicken.

Back
Top Bottom