Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank

Pros and Cons:
Pro: I've got teaching in my DNA... I know it will be good.
Con: Two classes of 20 students =40 papers to grade... And it's English - they'll be writing a lot.
Pro: The school really wants me (that may just be an ego "pro"... ) - they are willing to change the entire schedule to fit my time frames.
Con: Won't have a lot of time for chickens. I can't just cancel class if one of my birds is sick of injured.
Pro: Getting paid (although it's not a ton)
Con: Gas. Driving 23 miles out there every day, then driving to Simpson, then driving to my choir and music lessons.
Pro: I know quite a few of the students in that class and they're good kids.
Con: Preparation - I have to intimately learn a few books I've never read.
Pro: I will only have one kid at home (boys will be away at school) and keeping busy will help keep me from being depressed... Or spending too much time playing Candy Crush. :oops: (don't judge me :) )

What do you think? Sometimes I think it would be good. Sometimes I think it would be bad...

I can see why you have a tough decision. :oops:

I'm only still working because of the guilt of leaving them high and dry, and because the money is good and needed. If my hubby would stop shopping....

Oh, all 5 items on my last Amazon order are arriving today! Yeah!

:lau

You have a roo named Dolly? This makes me feel better about once having a roo named Bianca & now having a roo named Iris.

WOW!!!! :eek::thumbsup

I picked up a giant one in HI way back in the day. I was excited to see it, but the dang thing pissed all over me. :rant I've had a lot of African Dwarf frogs throughout my life. They're tiny swimmers like a goldfish …. The funniest, cutest things in the whole aquatic world. :love

I make DH facetime with my mannequin. :gig I've gotta try the dog next time! :lau

Geeze! That's the flattest landscape I ever saw.:oops: I feel dumb saying this, but theres something about all flat land that makes me nervous.

Probably doesn't effect the taste, but might make the gender of your eggs change at will. :p:lau
What? That's funny room! :gig
That's not a barn, it's a whole shopping center. Mercy!
It's huge isn't it. Lots of iron. All that framework is welded together too, no bolts. He looks like a lobster right now. As you can see there has been no shade.

Is it true that wild turkey has no white meat?

Have you noticed any fertility issues with Marans roosters? Tucker (the first one I had) had,if I remember right, 4 clears out of 12 eggs; this one had 3 clears out of 8. Both were young, but plenty old enough to breed.
The breast meat is white :hmm the rest I haven't found fit to eat.

D04690F1-6BB4-4DF7-B2ED-2FDECCBBC231.jpeg
It's huge isn't it. Lots of iron. All that framework is welded together too, no bolts. He looks like a lobster right now. As you can see there has been no shade.

Saw this yesterday :gig

Lol. I have a friend that's exactly like that! She cannot tan. It's literally white or red. One summer we went camping and sit in the creek all day. Despite using sun screen her upper thighs burned so bad they blistered :(
I guess the reflection off the water was too much. It looked so painful!

That will probably be me this afternoon... the lobster :lau
We are taking the kids to the lake to swim today. I gotta finish getting stuff together. Just taking a quick coffee break..:p
Or, thats a tough decision. All your pros and cons are big ones but i vote stay home and play candy crush! :D
You'll do whats best, its who you are! :hugs:hugs:hugs

I'll see y'all later....:frow

Pros and Cons:
Pro: I've got teaching in my DNA... I know it will be good.
Con: Two classes of 20 students =40 papers to grade... And it's English - they'll be writing a lot.
Pro: The school really wants me (that may just be an ego "pro"... ) - they are willing to change the entire schedule to fit my time frames.
Con: Won't have a lot of time for chickens. I can't just cancel class if one of my birds is sick of injured.
Pro: Getting paid (although it's not a ton)
Con: Gas. Driving 23 miles out there every day, then driving to Simpson, then driving to my choir and music lessons.
Pro: I know quite a few of the students in that class and they're good kids.
Con: Preparation - I have to intimately learn a few books I've never read.
Pro: I will only have one kid at home (boys will be away at school) and keeping busy will help keep me from being depressed... Or spending too much time playing Candy Crush. :oops: (don't judge me :) )

What do you think? Sometimes I think it would be good. Sometimes I think it would be bad...

What kind of mileage does your car get? How many miles on it already. That's 23 miles back, too, if you don't go anywhere but back home. Plus more frequent oil changes, tires, etc.

You could keep your academic skills sharp in case you ever want to return to full time. You could possibly make a positive difference in a few lives. You could buy more chicken feed=more chickens=more facilities=hiring some help=having a vet on call. See how that works? Looks like a no brainer from here. When do you start?

We eat ours (Monroe!!! Stop changing things!) pretty regularly. I've learned a few things... Like Lisa said, they have to chill (we throw ours into a big ice bath for the day) before you freeze or eat them. Also, they do taste differently than store -bought. Most of it has to do with their diet and the amount of exercise they get. True free range birds can be pretty tough (I use my Insta-Pot pressure cooker for most all of them and it works great). I keep the ones I'm planning to eat in my chicken tractors so they get plenty of fresh grass, but don't develop the muscle tone of free rangers.

Super cute!!!

I just happened to think of something, which is scary all by itself, but you know how a lot of people, including me, often say chickens aren't real smart?
They're smart enough to get someone to house them, feed them, keep 'em warm in the winter & cool in the summer, provide medical care if needed, and, in many cases, all the sex they can handle or want.

Think about it.

Back
Top Bottom