Well OK then...

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
Thought the girls were being extremely loud this morning. What the heck are they doing??? Went to let the dogs out and found this....

Building the chicken tractor this week and I think it's time to clip wings. Never done it before so and tips would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20220424_081323.jpg
    20220424_081323.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 4
Thought the girls were being extremely loud this morning. What the heck are they doing??? Went to let the dogs out and found this....

Building the chicken tractor this week and I think it's time to clip wings. Never done it before so and tips would be appreciated
At least yours were that old before they started flying.
20220205_223404.jpg

I think they are telling you they are done with a brooder and are ready for the coop/run. They have out grown the space. I would not advise clipping wings at this stage, I would get them outside in the fresh air and sunshine and a LOT MORE SPACE.

Over crowded birds can develop very ugly behaviors, much more ugly than getting out.

Oh, they look so pleased with themselves, don't they?
🤣 🤣 🤣

My run is a big ol' walk in dog kennel. When I'm in there cleaning and whatnot, I usually just let the door shut without engaging the latch (it opens inwards). A couple of weeks ago, I came out of the coop to find half my flock had wandered out onto the property. It seems they figured out that if the can get their beaks into the crack between the door and the run, they can then get their heads through, and then push it open with their little bodies.

I blame the Naked Neck. It's ALWAYS the Naked Neck.

Look at those shifty eyes...
20211019_174027.jpg

I think they are telling you they are done with a brooder and are ready for the coop/run. They have out grown the space. I would not advise clipping wings at this stage, I would get them outside in the fresh air and sunshine and a LOT MORE SPACE.

Over crowded birds can develop very ugly behaviors, much more ugly than getting out.

Agreed.

Also, a word of warning in re: wing clipping.

You MUST NOT clip feathers that are not yet fully grown in -- aka "blood feathers". They are a direct pipeline to the bird's circulatory system and will not stop bleeding until pulled out. It can be quite dangerous.

Good observation, as always, @Mrs. K.

Just make sure their new environment can hold them! Silly escape artists...

Back
Top Bottom