What Antiseptics and Disinfectants are in Your Kit?

What's in Your KIt?

• Total voters
Iodine: for wound cleaning
Peroxide: for 50/50 solution to clean hatching eggs and clean incubator
Vetericyn: keep wounds moisturized and clean
Rubbing alcohol: I have swabs and use them to clean around wounds
Blu Kote: use to spray on wounds that are red so it stops pecking or picking
Lysol wipes or homemade disinfectant wipes: I use to wipe down brooder and other surfaces when they're not in use and out away for storage
Bleach: I use sometimes on the brooder panels before I put them away for storage
Sterile water flush: I use to squirt on wounds or get a better look at wounds

I have a lot of medical supplies that I use on a daily basis so a lot of them are used with my chickens if I ever have any emergencies or my dogs or cat.

I have a lot of medical supplies that I use on a daily basis so a lot of them are used with my chickens if I ever have any emergencies or my dogs or cat.

I do not mean to bash anyone, but I also do not use the above list. My point is that most of the time, chickens do better on their own with fresh air, clean water and good food, and dry bedding and can be raised without doctoring.

Mrs K

Household stuff not the best for chicken wounds...
Agree.
Bleach, wouldn't use on chickens themselves.
Agree, never on a chicken. Good for brooders, incubators, feeders, and waterers.
Rubbing alcohol, wouldn't use on chickens themselves
If you ever need to look at the skin it works well when you use it to set the feathers.
but on tools used on chickens.
I use it for that too.
Vetericyn, only specific chicken stuff.
That's one I don't have.

Most of the things I use aren't necessarily in a chickens only pack...but for different wound cleaning tasks, I'll use peroxide initially to make sure it's good and clean, and then the saline wound wash the following days. Triple antibiotic and bag balm 😍
Also, for cleaning brooders or bators I usually stick to alcohol or the gold Listerine (50/50 mix with water)...doesn't have the lingering harsh smell like bleach.

Love the Disinfectant wipes for quick clean ups in the brooders too!
Oh yes, triple antibiotic ointment is a must have. Is there a thread on building the perfect kit? This is a really good topic, especially for those first starting out. :)

I once had a dog attack rip the skin so badly. I live in a big city and no vet would see my chicken. So I sat down with artificial "senu" and stitched her hand size rip, closed with a curved sewing needle. She sat quietly in my lap while I repaired her. I only used butadiene throughout the ordeal. I now keep surgical sewing supplies on hand... the needles come pre threaded.

Back
Top Bottom