ForTheLoveOfFarming

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2018
Newberry, SC
Short version: Please identify these chicks!
Long version: I asked for 3 Barred Rock Pullets from Tractor Supply and went home with them. The next day I visited another Tractor Supply location and saw that two of my "Barred Rocks" looked like their chicks that were labeled "Sussex." I showed pics of my 3 chicks to several people that knew a little about farming chicks and ALL of them had different opinions about what breeds my chicks were. Please help me!
Hints: The black one is growing VERY rapidly and is larger than all of the other 11 chicks I have. The two stripped ones seem to like to be held less than my RIR's, Ameraucanas, and Buff Orpingtons.
Other info: We were hoping to have breeds that are egg laying and like to be handled.

Attachments

• 031418_Chickens_26_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_26_L.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 031418_Chickens_18_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_18_L.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 031418_Chickens_15_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_15_L.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 031418_Chickens_12_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_12_L.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 031418_Chickens_09_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_09_L.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 031418_Chickens_07_L.jpg
    031418_Chickens_07_L.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 031118_Chickens_12_L.jpg
    031118_Chickens_12_L.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 27
The black one looks like a barred rock. The other two remind me of EEs but like Chickcanoe said there are plenty of chickmunk looking breeds and since they look like the chicks in the Sussex bin, I have to agree. (Though maybe I was just hoping they were EEs because I love them and they're a great "breed")

Sorry about that though, I've heard TSC to be pretty bad about this. If you have a C-A-L in your area I'd highly recommend them, just based off ours down here.

Would these be Barred Rock's then? I got them from TSC as well. I was hoping they were Easter Eggers.
They definately aren't barred rocks for what it's worth. I think they might be Sussex as well, but EE could be possible. I could be wrong though, haven't seen too many chicks this Spring for the sake of not buying more!

>Keeping chicks on a plush white blanket
I can only hope to have half as much courage as you:lol:

They definately aren't barred rocks for what it's worth. I think they might be Sussex as well, but EE could be possible. I could be wrong though, haven't seen too many chicks this Spring for the sake of not buying more!

Thank you! Im new to this whole chickens thing! I totally get it my husband thinks I've lost my mind. I originally wanted 6 birds, I'm up to 14. Pretty sure my first 6 are all male >.<

Lots of people - especially children - like to handle the chicks at feed stores. Unless there is a full time employee stationed there to insure the chicks go back in their respective bins, you can be assured there will be mistakes. You can't fix stupid. Put it back where you found it already! :old

I just wanted to let some know that barred is just one variety of Plymouth Rocks. I know of at least 7 other color varieties. If one likes the breed, there is plenty of color variation available. All varieties of Plymouth rocks should have the same shape and likely temperament.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom