What could have killed my chickens?

Don't assume there's no way in to the coop. Several years ago, someone here was losing a chicken every night. Occasionally the dead and mangled chicken was left inside the coop. The doors were all closed and locked. The chicken keeper was convinced the other chickens were the ones killing. We urged them to install a game cam.

What the camera caught was a raccoon coming into the coop from a crevice in a far rear corner that they weren't even aware of. Somehow, the raccoon was able to compress its body to fit through the very narrow crack. Once they sealed up the crack, no more dead chickens.

Don't assume there's no way in to the coop. Several years ago, someone here was losing a chicken every night. Occasionally the dead and mangled chicken was left inside the coop. The doors were all closed and locked. The chicken keeper was convinced the other chickens were the ones killing. We urged them to install a game cam.

What the camera caught was a raccoon coming into the coop from a crevice in a far rear corner that they weren't even aware of. Somehow, the raccoon was able to compress its body to fit through the very narrow crack. Once they sealed up the crack, no more dead chickens.
Oh yeah totally. I’m assuming they’re a lot like cats. Where their heads fit their body follows. But wouldn’t there be remains? Feathers near the roof, on the floor, somewhere? The only feathers there are of the dead chicken.

I had a guinea in a solid wooden stall inside a barn, and a fox somehow, slid through a hole where the ground was not level. It was not a hole but was actually more slit than hole but a fox entered there and drug a healthy-sized guinea through the same hole. I found blood right there on the bottom of the wood. I was stunned. I found only a few scattered feathers. And now I cover every spot no matter how tiny it is.

Sorry for you loss. Every chicken owner I'm sure suffers a loss at one time or another. I know I have had my share over the years. I agree with @50-45-1. A game camera is a good tool for chicken owners. I have several on my property. I'm pretty sure the predator will be back. If you have a camera, put it up and then you should know what the predator is. It has probably been lurking around looking for a place it can breach and an opportunity. Good luck...

Are you positive she was in there when you locked up the night before?
Yeah I’m positive because I didn’t let them out that day. It was pouring and so windy so I let them stay in their run since it stays dry and no wind comes in. I went at around 3 like I always do to check on them. They were all accounted for. I know I put her in cause they were on my porch perching and put them in thinking an animal would have gotten them.

Sorry for you loss. Every chicken owner I'm sure suffers a loss at one time or another. I know I have had my share over the years. I agree with @50-45-1. A game camera is a good tool for chicken owners. I have several on my property. I'm pretty sure the predator will be back. If you have a camera, put it up and then you should know what the predator is. It has probably been lurking around looking for a place it can breach and an opportunity. Good luck...
Yeah I was prepared to lose one to a predator some day but I didn’t think it would be this soon. I’m looking into cameras and updating my coop and run. Even before all this happened. I’m for sure investing in the cameras though.

I had a guinea in a solid wooden stall inside a barn, and a fox somehow, slid through a hole where the ground was not level. It was not a hole but was actually more slit than hole but a fox entered there and drug a healthy-sized guinea through the same hole. I found blood right there on the bottom of the wood. I was stunned. I found only a few scattered feathers. And now I cover every spot no matter how tiny it is.
You see if I saw blood I would understand but there is no evidence of anything ever coming in or out with anything. My dead Orpington was on the ground with no blood, bites, or anything just feathers pulled from her back. But yeah I’m gonna cover every hole no matter how small it is.

im so sorry for your loss..poor girls,,keep the others safe.....i use carabenas on my latches
Thank you. I have been meaning to get a lock since a few ago someone walked into the run and took a Rhode Island Red thinking we were selling them or something. I’ll do everything I can to keep my remaining ladies safe.

Back
Top Bottom