What did you do in the garden today?

I use bones until I can mash them with my fingers. For the small chicken or turkey bones, that's usually twice. Bigger poultry bones can go 3x. I mostly have chicken and turkey bones, but occasionally have ham or beef. A ham bone lasts at least 3x.

I cook mine in my Instant Pot for 2 hours. This post taught me everything I know. :)

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-bone-broth/

I know what you mean about space! I thought, oh goody, I got all this stuff out of the freezer... well, now I have to put the jars of broth in the freezer. I suppose I could pressure can them...
Thoughts on rotating the bones before each use/reuse?
I find that stock made with roasted bones/meat is much richer and all around flavourful than stock produced with raw bones/meat.

Questions for the bone re-users!!
How many times would you say you reuse the bones?
I how many times does it take till the broth is no longer gets jiggly? Does it start to lose flavor?
How long do you cook a batch for? ( I do 24 hrs)
I've always done my bone broths in a huge pot on the stove and I'll probably keep doing it that way since I can make enough stock for regular use for months. Unless I make a big batch of chicken and dumplings or minestrone. The poultry usually cooks for 24 hours and the beef and pork for 48 hours. Plus I always use chicken feet or better yet, beef tendon for added collagen. Nearly impossible to find either one here. I'll have to make that long delayed trip back to Portland to pick up goodies. And if you can get your hands on a roasted duck from an Asian market do it. The meat is delicious and the carcass is gold in a mixed stock pot.
Thoughts on rotating the bones before each use/reuse?
I find that stock made with roasted bones/meat is much richer and all around flavourful than stock produced with raw bones/meat.
Roasted bones give far more flavor to stock, just adding the skin and bones left over from a store roasted chicken makes a big difference. I've got to pull some pork bones out of the freezer so I can get them roasted. I also like the flavor of stock made from a variety of bones, it makes the very best minestrone I've ever had.

And @jerryse, you are a canning machine! :yesss:

I've been talking about getting a pressure canner too,
I have a canner for quart jars. When it's full, it is HEAVY! It's aluminum, so I don't cook in it. The instant pot is for cooking, not canning; I may have read they have a newer one that will get to 15 lbs and be useable for canning and cooking...?
Oh, yeah, the roasted bones are better. That's something I learned from the website I linked to.

DH doesn't like the smell of bone broth cooking. So I do it in the IP while he's gone. 2 hours under pressure, natural release, put it in jars, clean everything up. He doesn't even notice that it's been done.

That's how I do mine too @NewBoots - a giant pot on the stove. Thats as far as my technology goes, lol. I think I got 20 pints last time I did it. I don't know if that was all the bones from my 1/2 cow or not, I won't know till I get to the bottom of the freezer! & then of course I'll keep all the steak bones from what we eat & do another batch when I have enough.

Back
Top Bottom