What did you do in the garden today?

It rained and was very cold here today. I did move the big plastic barrel over into the chicken run and place it under the gutter opening to catch the rain!
One of my dear friends lost her battle with cancer today. It had started as lung cancer and then came back as bone cancer and then spread to her brain. 2 weeks ago she had several strokes and they sent her home on hospice. She is at peace now and free of pain. God bless her. She was a phenomenal person and a fabulous teacher and mentor! She worked first as a math teacher in the middle school and then later as a teacher to at risk kids in the middle school and then at the high school level. She had such a positive impact on so many kids and adults.

Sorry for your loss. I know she will be missed especially all those children she had an impact on.

I have an orchard. Yes, you need two apples trees that bloom at the same time and will pollinate each other. NOT all apple trees will pollinate other trees. They have companion trees.
Meaning two granny smith trees will not pollinate each other.
Great chart.
http://www.amherstnurseries.com/FruitTreePollinatorsChart-id-51.html
That chart is awesome! All winter I’ve been planning and dreaming about an area of the yard that’s an unused, blank slate. I’ve got a ton of apple trees now, so it’s time for some other fruits...I have space for five, and I’m thinking plum, peach, cherry, pear and...? Subject to availability at the local garden centres, and I’m willing to wait for what I want. They’d be no more than 50ft from bee hives and 100ft from the apples. I can’t wait for spring!!!!

The chicks were moved to the brooder in the barn. Spouse made room in the workshop! Both of us were motivated by the smell of the spare bedroom due to the chicks...only little poops, but still chicken poop. We had them on puppy pee pads, which were changed easily and less dusty. Here they are in the brooder, hanging out in the “nest” enclosure we added for a broody momma of a previous hatch. We put the new heat plate there since that’s where they felt safest. But, eating and drinking well, and full of energy - 5 days old today!
4D32F2E8-2F13-4972-8D8C-D347DEE27E27.jpeg

I picked up some starter cells and will order a few seed packets from “Seed Savers” to add to my seed selections for this year.

If you have any plants that haven't shown signs of PM yet, Regalia works great to help prevent it and its OMRI labeled for natural or organic growing methods. But it on'y helps as a pre-breakout treatment.
Thanks! I was hoping someone would pipe in with their wisdom.
I will look for it online. :D

That chart is awesome! All winter I’ve been planning and dreaming about an area of the yard that’s an unused, blank slate. I’ve got a ton of apple trees now, so it’s time for some other fruits...I have space for five, and I’m thinking plum, peach, cherry, pear and...? Subject to availability at the local garden centres, and I’m willing to wait for what I want. They’d be no more than 50ft from bee hives and 100ft from the apples. I can’t wait for spring!!!!
skip the garden stores to start. Go to the local extension and find out what will grow there FIRST. Stores here sell sweet cherry, peach and nectarine, but they WILL NOT grow here. Sour cherry will and asian nectarine will IF it is very well protected over the winter. Which never happens.

So check what will grow first. Then shop.

It rained and was very cold here today. I did move the big plastic barrel over into the chicken run and place it under the gutter opening to catch the rain!
One of my dear friends lost her battle with cancer today. It had started as lung cancer and then came back as bone cancer and then spread to her brain. 2 weeks ago she had several strokes and they sent her home on hospice. She is at peace now and free of pain. God bless her. She was a phenomenal person and a fabulous teacher and mentor! She worked first as a math teacher in the middle school and then later as a teacher to at risk kids in the middle school and then at the high school level. She had such a positive impact on so many kids and adults.
I'm so sorry for your loss but I am so glad that you got to know her so well and that she touched your life. She sounds wonderful and I am sure she will be missed. :hugs

Thanks! So if the ones I planted are, say, gala. I should plant granny smith next to each gala apple tree so they cross pollinate?
I don't think this is really that important in your case. You are planting trees from seeds, and only for shade and ornamental purposes. Your resulting trees will have wild apples when they fruit. You still will have flower blooms,,,, which is the beauty of such trees.
If you did decide to get apple trees from a nursery, those would be a variety as labeled, but would be as a result of grafting. That is when you would consult the chart to determine which apple varieties to purchase. Also how to plant, and space.

Back
Top Bottom