What did you do in the garden today?

Sorry to butt in . Looks like a blue slate turkey . Might have some Royal Palm in the mix as I see white in the wing .
Yes, you are correct. My notes just say Blue Slate turkey. Not sure when I got it in my head that she was a Palm. :lau But that is what I have been thinking of her as ( she will be 2 at the end of April). That explains why when I was just looking up Palms I couldn't find any that looked like her! :lau:oops:

Wow she’s gorgeous! If they’re pets I don’t want to offend, but what are the eating qualities like? Are they just for show or could they also go in the freezer?
She is the only one of her type that I have had. We have raised and eaten several Broad Breasted White turkeys, some Bourbon Reds and some Narragansetts ( which is what the Tom is standing near her). From what I have heard Blue Slates are a slimmer type of turkey and so you won't get as much meat.
If anyone knows more, feel free to jump in.

As for her purity, I bought her at the feed store, so there is no telling!

The chicks were moved to the brooder in the barn. Spouse made room in the workshop! Both of us were motivated by the smell of the spare bedroom due to the chicks...only little poops, but still chicken poop. We had them on puppy pee pads, which were changed easily and less dusty. Here they are in the brooder, hanging out in the “nest” enclosure we added for a broody momma of a previous hatch. We put the new heat plate there since that’s where they felt safest. But, eating and drinking well, and full of energy - 5 days old today!
View attachment 2035914

I picked up some starter cells and will order a few seed packets from “Seed Savers” to add to my seed selections for this year.
Oh how fun!!!! :love :love :love :love :love

Back
Top Bottom