What did you do in the garden today?

Good frosty morning all. The temps were about 26F early this morning and that was apparently the high for today. Will be dropping down to the low teens overnight and a bit windy for now. I had a long day of medical appointments at the VA hospital yesterday and a surprise opportunity to get my Covid shot. It was worth the extra time it took. I was gone pretty much all day and my DD got her first experience tending to the chickens. She even collected 4 eggs. I dropped off eggs at my friends house on the way home and he gifted me a pound of ground bear meat from the bear he bagged a few weeks ago and a pint of maple syrup he made last Spring. Today it's just making sure the chicken's water stays liquid. I just finished cleaning the pellet stove and after lunch I get to do my 1/2 mile walk on the treadmill. I'm also dog sitting the grand puppies while DD paints the newly constructed wall in the basement. I have removed most of the wallpaper and glue from one wall in the living room. I'll start on the other long wall in there on Monday so I'm hoping to start painting perhaps later in the week. Part of my Gurneys order has shipped so that should be here in a few days. I'm not sure if I mentioned it but DD gave me a smart watch and I'm loving it. It has a fitness tracker that counts my steps, notes when I do any type of exercise that is "cardio," can check my blood oxygen level and do an ECG. It will also call for the EMT's if I have a hard fall and can't call for myself. Without the 1/2 mile treadmill walks I average around 2 miles a day just doing housework and tending to the chickens. Apparently I do way more standing than I thought so I guess I'm not as lazy as I thought for an old woman. I'm looking forward to see what the readings are during planting time.
Which fitness tracker is it? I work in an isolated area and can be a little clumsy at times. I could use one of those 🤣🤣

Switched those over to red for germination purposes.
7DC61FDF-4D3C-4576-B1F0-71B7C5707390.jpeg I just retired and am starting up a little grow area to help ease the pain of Michigan winters.

Beautiful clear day today. Started out COLD; 13 degrees! Up to the mid 20s now. It was 75 in the greenhouse after lunch. I clipped some kale for the chickens for chickie snack.

It's also my first two egg day since last November! :yesss: One girl still has to get back to work, but she's the one who laid the latest into fall too.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but DD gave me a smart watch and I'm loving it. It has a fitness tracker that counts my steps, notes when I do any type of exercise that is "cardio," can check my blood oxygen level and do an ECG. It will also call for the EMT's if I have a hard fall and can't call for myself. Without the 1/2 mile treadmill walks I average around 2 miles a day just doing housework and tending to the chickens. Apparently I do way more standing than I thought so I guess I'm not as lazy as I thought for an old woman. I'm looking forward to see what the readings are during planting time.
Which one did she get?
I think they're cool, but I'm afraid I'd be staring at it all the time wondering if I was dying or just felt like I was dying.

Woke up at am to 14 degrees. Rolled back over and slept until 8, when it is what a toasty 17 degrees.
Ran errands in town and delivered a packaged to a woman that was going to cost her 45$ to ship. I used to live a block from where she was so I just made another run to town this morning. Snowing very heavily now. Can only see about 200 yards out. Roads are a mess. DH went into town when I got home to pick up his remote teaching stuff in case the next storm Sunday, makes the first day of the semester (monday), impossible to get to. Snow days are a thing of the past my friends.

Bwahahahahaaaa

Grabbed some soil in town to plant these pecans and hazelnuts. They've been soaking a week, so now I'll toss them under some dirt and chill them out for a couple of weeks, and then heat the soil. We shall see.

View attachment 2500170I just retired and am starting up a little grow area to help ease the pain of Michigan winters.
Very nice! Would love something like that, wow! Right now I’m just using the top of an old work desk and I still have plenty of room. I’m going to start looking at some stuff to expand a bit so I can get a jump on more stuff for fall.

It’s an app on the Apple Watch.
Darn. That ones too expensive for me.
Which one did she get?
I think they're cool, but I'm afraid I'd be staring at it all the time wondering if I was dying or just felt like I was dying.

Woke up at am to 14 degrees. Rolled back over and slept until 8, when it is what a toasty 17 degrees.
Ran errands in town and delivered a packaged to a woman that was going to cost her 45$ to ship. I used to live a block from where she was so I just made another run to town this morning. Snowing very heavily now. Can only see about 200 yards out. Roads are a mess. DH went into town when I got home to pick up his remote teaching stuff in case the next storm Sunday, makes the first day of the semester (monday), impossible to get to. Snow days are a thing of the past my friends.

Bwahahahahaaaa

Grabbed some soil in town to plant these pecans and hazelnuts. They've been soaking a week, so now I'll toss them under some dirt and chill them out for a couple of weeks, and then heat the soil. We shall see.
I know what you mean by staring at it, but it does help ease my mind. I havent had as severe attacks as you in a very long time thankfully, but it stays with me anyway.

Good afternoon gardeners. What a great day for working outside! Hubs installed the rope lights while I got the duck house ready for babies, swapped out water buckets and cleaned up a bit. Got the rest of my garden tools put away, trimmed a couple of shrubs and got all the broken pavers out of my wheelbarrow. I had to put some protection around the sage because the ducks like it just a little too much. Here’s a few pics from today. I love this little space
542F06D2-AE6E-479C-A8E6-CD360FC349E3.jpeg
9A2E5F87-A1B1-4F8D-BD8A-442EC309A50D.jpeg
29D9E4C4-69D1-476B-82D1-21457527FC14.jpeg
D7974A55-6B43-4F5A-A0C5-26C213D423AE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom