What did you do in the garden today?

You won't believe what happen to me. All my passwords and seldom used Gmail email info was stored on my computer when I changed them at my new anti-virus request. I did not write them down before my anti-virus started blocking some of my apps like window's calculator and other things, so I did a system restore out of frustration and got locked out when it finished. I could not remember anything, so I had to freeze my credit card to stop all my paid subscriptions. I won't use Bit Defender this time around.

I don't use any antivirus except windows security. I was advised to do so by someone who knows about computers. for the last 8 or so years I have been fine. with different antiviruses I had always had some junk downloaded and antivirus "had to clean it". I wonder if they downloaded then cleaned them so that it looks they do something.

@cj2024 your paswords and most of your files may be probably still in the hard disk, but hidden.

If is not encrypted, just use a linux live-CD (or even better, live-DVD, or a bootable pendrive...), burn the disk on other computer and put it in the cdrom slot. Turn the computer on, and will open a Linux system without password. Then use testdisk to find and recover the files that could help you to recover the passwords (or to remember it). Move to "undelete" menu and copy all recovered files to a backup on a second removable hard disk (not in your main hard disk or you will overwrite part of the hidden files!).

I know, it feels too complicated the first time, but it really isn't. After a few tries, and maybe some extra research, you will have it.

Linux will be slow recovering in a native windows filesystem and on live-cd, but this is totally expectable. It needs to translate everything between two languages all the time.

When you have take control of your personal files again, consider the possibility of having a dual Win/Linux system on different parts of your disk (if it fits your needs) or even to delete Windows and install a Linux instead. Antiviruses are so 1995...

Last edited:
@cj2024 your paswords and most of your files may be probably still in the hard disk, but hidden.

If is not encrypted, just use a linux live-CD, enter in your computer as a Linux without password and use testdisk to find and recover the files that could help you to recover the passwords (or to remember it). Then move to "undelete" and copy all recovered files to a backup on a second removable hard disk (not in your main hard disk or you will overwrite part of the hidden files!).

Linux will be slow recovering in a native windows filesystem and on live-cd, but this is totally expectable. It needs to translate everything from two languages all the time.

When you have take control of your personal files again, consider the possibility of having a dual Win/Linux system on different parts of your disk (if it fits your needs) or even to delete Windows and install a Linux instead. Antiviruses are so 1995...
I already factory reset Window 11, so everything is gone. I think it's a blessing in disguise. I don't have any junk email to delete anymore.

If you formatted all the disk again, is gone.

If you deleted only the Windows system, most of your hard disk is just inaccessible, but files will be there still for a while until overwritten by new files. The more you will use the computer from now on, the more old files will disappear, but some (or most), could be still recoverable.

I could be wrong. I'm not familiar with what changed on Win 11 or NT File System, but if the personal files were important, it may deserve a try.

I have clip on cups like you use for rabbits, and a tower one that is smaller like you have for parakeets.
The parakeet one is great as it's a small quantity for clean water/med change daily.
So I have one of those hanging feeder cups that I put in there to keep the water off the ground. Went to feed her this morning and she purposefully bum rushed my hand, jumped on the hanging feeder cup and pulled it off... Spilling water everywhere.

y1WDIwAZRSmru.gif

Back
Top Bottom