What did you do in the garden today?

Still have to clean out boxes to plant beans and cucumbers but a good start View attachment 3809754
We did our first try for okra this round. Tomatoes, lettuce, arugula, poblano, jalapeños, squash and zucchini. Will be adding cabbage, and of course carolina reapers for mr muddy.

I did the 3" Net pots too this year and HATED it. I won't do it again.

:idunno Well, I guess the net pot method is not for everyone. For me, it was the best method I have ever used. My roots did indeed air prune, the potting soil stayed inside the net pots, and they were the healthiest transplants I ever had. I think my tomatoes and peppers were 8 weeks old when I transplanted them, and I had no root problems at all.

Anyways, I am using the 3-inch net pots again this year and, so far, no problems. I am using potting soil that does not fall through the slits in the net cups. I do not use the very fine seed starting media, so maybe that makes a difference?

I was all excited about using soil blocks a few years back, but I never got the mixture quite right and my blocks did not hold together. That's why I moved to using the net cups. For me, I was much more successful with the net cups.

As for seed starting in the baggy, I do this all the time with fruit seeds. I've done it with apple, pomegranate, lemon, Plum, and kiwi seeds. I've had great results with it and never had any problems moving a seed from the paper towel to soil.

I did the paper towel in the baggie method for seed germination a few years ago and it worked for me as well. The only thing I did not like was that I could not see if the seeds had started to sprout, or not.

Thanks for your response. I love to get all kinds of feedback. I don't pretend to have much experience with gardening, but every year I seem to learn a few more lessons. And I understand that what works for one person might not work for another. That's why I like to try to different methods.

I have a bunch of old seeds that I think I will try sprouting in the "petri dish" method in that video. I just don't want to take the time and effort of putting those old seeds in starting pots and then risk having nothing germinate. I don't have that much room on my starting shelf with lights. I mainly like the ability just to look into the plastic container and being able to see if the seeds have sprouted, or not, and if they are ready to pot up.

He have ask at Sunbirds yesterday they had male asparagus
plants so do you need female?
Will they make their own?
Female plants will make flowers, and I've read they grow fewer spears. I have some of both. The flowers have led to some seedlings; I have a few that are up right now. They're the thickness of a pencil lead. There are some that were seedlings last year; they are about the size of a pencil.

Worked my 10 hours, came home, fed and watered flock, then decided to plant more of the annuals I'd purchased earlier this month:
IMG_20240423_173527408.jpg

The seedlings on the left appear to be volunteers from last year's tithonia.

From top down: two petite marigolds, lantana, bidens.

Back
Top Bottom