What did you make from your garden today?

I used some scallions & chives I had frozen in making soup yesterday.

Also, still eating pickled eggs, so delicious! 😋
I made my first batch of pickled eggs today!

I hard-boiled and then immersed them in pickle juice. Recipe said to leave them for a week.
IMG_20240228_182209697~2.jpg

I made my first batch of pickled eggs today!

I hard-boiled and then immersed them in pickle juice. Recipe said to leave them for a week.
View attachment 3759789
DH says you can leave them for months, so I do put the whole jar in the refrigerator & let them marinate. I made a pickled mixture with beets, so that batch was pink & turning deep fuchsia over time. 😋 yummm!!!

Oh, yes, the jar is in the refrigerator.
The longer they marinate, the stronger the pickling flavor. I use this gal's recipe and sometimes add slices of beets, cajun spices, different recipes to achieve different flavors. I store most jars in the spare refrigerator because I do not have much cabinet space or a pantry here, but by following the method handed down for generations, we've never had any negative issues. She is right about not using eggs that may have not peeled well, as they will end up compromising that jar & cloud the pickling liquid. You do not want the cooked yolk leeching out of the hard boiled egg into the pickling. Use those freshly peeled eggs you don't pickle right away in some delicious egg salad sandwiches instead. I avoid anything pickled with very cloudy or murky pickling liquid, whether home made or store bought, the pickling juice can be colors of pink, green, yellow, whatever, but they should clear for the most part, if you used clear white vinegar. If ACV that's cloudy to start with is used, then yes your pickling liquid will be somewhat clouded from that type of vinegar. I love Braggs ACV, a teaspoon in a glass of water is healthy to drink, but for that cloudy reason, I do not pickle with it. I use the Distilled White Vinegar for my canning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom