What did you make from your garden today?

I completely forgot that I used dehydrated walking onions in the dredge for the chicken I made on Saturday or Sunday night for dinner. It needed a bit more spice but it was so good. I used Parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, season salt, garlic salt and pepper. I also added all purpose flour.

I've been hard-boiling eggs about once a week, and making pickled eggs at the same time. So far my process is putting the eggs in pickle juice or pickled beets juice, then waiting a couple weeks before eating. Yummy.
Ditto, here too. Aren't they awesome? Beets are my fav. I've experimented with what I add to pickling juice, a garlic & basil theme is cool, too. I haven't tried hot pepper or cajun...has anybody given that a shot? Was it good?

Not exactly from my garden, but I picked a small handful of dandelion greens and some newly opened dandelion blossoms, chopped them up and sauteed it all in a skillet. I mixed it into scrambled eggs and it made a pretty good breakfast.

I've always wanted to try cultivating one or two dandelion plants in the garden to see how they'd do. Because of the long taproot the plant pulls lots of nutrients from deep in the ground. It's a very nutritious plant.

Not exactly from my garden, but I picked a small handful of dandelion greens and some newly opened dandelion blossoms, chopped them up and sauteed it all in a skillet. I mixed it into scrambled eggs and it made a pretty good breakfast.

I've always wanted to try cultivating one or two dandelion plants in the garden to see how they'd do. Because of the long taproot the plant pulls lots of nutrients from deep in the ground. It's a very nutritious plant.
What did they taste like? I’ve always thought they were bitter. I believe they were brought to the new world as food plants.

What did they taste like? I’ve always thought they were bitter. I believe they were brought to the new world as food plants.
I really couldn't detect much if any bitterness. All the leaves I picked were young and tender. I'm pretty sure I don't carry the "bitterness gene". My perception of bitterness might be a lot lower than yours.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ale-ale-a-love-of-bitter-may-be-in-your-genes

Actually, I kind of crave bitter foods to a degree, because in my mind the more bitter the food, the more nutritious it is.

I really couldn't detect much if any bitterness. All the leaves I picked were young and tender. I'm pretty sure I don't carry the "bitterness gene". My perception of bitterness might be a lot lower than yours.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesal...ale-ale-a-love-of-bitter-may-be-in-your-genes

Actually, I kind of crave bitter foods to a degree, because in my mind the more bitter the food, the more nutritious it is.
Actually I do too! :gig I’ve heard the older we get the more we like or tolerate bitter things. I’ll give some a try. My Croatian uncle ate dandelion salad almost every day. I’ll have to ask my aunt about that.

Back
Top Bottom