What do you have planted in your garden so far ? What zone ?

Um, we planted a buckeye nut that we found that had a small sprout growing out of it, does that count?
big_smile.png

We just had snow 2 days ago in Zone 7, but I planted 3 5 gallon buckets of white potatoes 2 weeks ago. I planted snow peas yesterday and a Pear tree today.

Tomorrow we are putting in radish and spinach.
big_smile.png

Yet, I KNOW this cold is not yet going anywhere.
hmm.png

So far we planted 2 pears, 2 peaches, 2 plums, 3 grapes, 2 apples, 1 almond tree, 9 different raspberry bushess, 4 blueberry bushes, and 75 strawberry starts. We still have a citrus and another Almond tree coming soon.

We have over 75 different other edible vegetables, fruits, and herbs still to plant ( thousands and thousands of seeds ), but our 2 acre garden isn't done being tilled yet.
smile.png

The weather certainly is perfect!! Spring practically started in January with record high temps and absolutely no freezes yet. Aaaaah good weather.

Oh, and we're in Zone 8 - Very coastal, temperate type weather with LOTS of rain.

Last edited:
So the spinach will still start, even with it being this cold? What other cold crops are okay to plant now? I'm in south KY, I'm not sure what zone I'm in, I think it's 6b or something like that lol

Quote:
Try some root veggies and stuff now. Radish, carrots, diakon, cabbage, broccoli, lettuce, bok choy, fennel....ect ect
smile.png
My parsley is still green from last summer, and its starting to get new growth even.
big_smile.png
So maybe try some hardy herbs.

Nothing so far, our gardens open april 22nd. but i have started hillbilly tomatos,Abraham Lincoln(improved) toms,
Peppers:peter Peppers ,Ghost Pepper(Bhut Jolokia and Dorset Naga strain) Big Bertha, Big Daddy, hot pepper mix
there is also a bag of peppers i picked up at the korean market that i want to plant
i have also cabbage, romanesco, cauliflower, cowhorn okra, salad, sugar baby watermelon.......

Last edited:
Got the tomatoes planted but will plant the rest of the veggies this weekend. I think last night or tonight is supposed to be our last frost unless some other freakish weather occurs.

Other veggies are: zucchini and crook-neck squash, pole beans, bell peppers, carrots, snow peas, lettuce (a little bit...it gets hot here and they don't do well for long), watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, radishes.

We have a small garden so will only plant 1-2 of some of these. That's enough for 2 people!!

I started my pepper seeds inside earlier this week. In zone 5 I think, I can get peas in and lettuce transplants in the end of March. I may set up a temporary cold frame thing in the garden for the spinach. Something always de-foliates my spinach but I'm going to give it a try again.

This is kinda cool.. I left carrots out in the garden last fall, dumped a foot of chopped leaves on top of the bed and last week I went out and pulled a few. They were great! Perfectly refridgerated and it was down in the single digits here in January and Feb
smile.png
Going to go get more for kale soup tonite, which I have growing in a cold frame in my unheated greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom