Silkies are very popular as children's pets and because they often go "Broody," and will hatch fertile eggs and raise the babies. They aren't the greatest egg layers because they spend time trying to hatch eggs. They can also be used to hatch fertile eggs from different breeds - sometimes even ducks.

-byc-egg-hen.png

This is my first year with laying hens. I bought 10 chicks all of different breeds. My friendliest hen is my ISA Brown, who jumps up on the ledge every morning when I let the chickens out and lets me pet her a few times before she runs outside. Well, that is my impression. Others have told me that she is just looking for a chance to escape.

My Buff Orpington just started laying last week and she has settled down and become more friendly. She is a beautiful bird, a golden fluff ball, and I am very glad I got one.

Each bird has their own personality, and I notice all of them settling down as they start laying or getting closer to laying. The older they get, the more friendly they are to me.

Buff orps and black australorps would be my top picks on the broody and sweet front. Easter eggers for colored eggs, from a good source so you know you'll get colorful eggs. But you may do well with a polish or silkie if you want sweet broody and bad at escaping. I, however, don't like those breeds at all due to their general lack of hardiness.

For the friendliest chickens that form a dog like bond with their humans,that you can absolutely trust the roosters around kids, even if they dress them in doll clothes and push them in a stroller, you need some Oriental games. They also make the best broody moms, all of them go broody, young. But they don't get along well with other chickens (that's why I got rid of all my "other" chickens).

Back
Top Bottom