What is wrong with my hen??

Renada_

Chirping
Mar 3, 2023
I went to feed my chickens this morning and she was on her side with her left wing straw led out. I assumed she was stuck in the mud because it rained recently, but when I picked her up she didn’t try running from me. I put her down and she could walk. Her wings are droopy, but she is eating. She is fluffed out, but seemed to acknowledge I was there. She is a very young hen, hasn’t started laying yet. Is this something I can fix?? Should I separate her?

How her droppings look is important. I would crate her with her own food and water until you get a good look at them. Pictures are welcome. How old exactly?

How her droppings look is important. I would crate her with her own food and water until you get a good look at them. Pictures are welcome. How old exactly?
I just brought her inside, she hasn’t pooped yet and I’ll post when she does! She is 13 weeks old and I hatched her April 7th. This is how she looks right now, I sat her on my kitchen floor so she can eat a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 10
Hey, I'd suggest you check her poop. If there is blood then it's likely coccidiosis. It could be because of heat as chickens spread their wings to cool off. If her droppings are really watery then It's likely that its too warm for her. Make sure she is drinking and eating properly. If you want to give her a boost I'd suggest vitamin supplements like vitamin B and E and maybe an egg yolk. :)

Hey, I'd suggest you check her poop. If there is blood then it's likely coccidiosis. It could be because of heat as chickens spread their wings to cool off. If her droppings are really watery then It's likely that its too warm for her. Make sure she is drinking and eating properly. If you want to give her a boost I'd suggest vitamin supplements like vitamin B and E and maybe an egg yolk. :)
Desperately waiting for her to poop! (Never thought I’d say that before) I gave her some vitamin and electrolyte supplements I had on hand that we used for our goats. She just ate a bunch of her food that I put in front of her and isn’t really touching the water. None of my other birds are acting like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 9
Eating is a good sign. Once you see droppings, if they are runny, mucousy, or contain any blood, then I would start her on Corid right away. Not all strains of coccidia will produce blood, but runny and mucousy are also signs. Corid is very safe, so it won't hurt anything even if it's something else. With coccidiosis, it's better safe than sorry, so if in doubt, treat. When giving Corid, do not give vitamins at the same time that contain thiamine, as that can reduce the effectiveness of the Corid. Products are pictured below, you can use either the powder or the liquid, most people find the liquid to be more convenient, but either will work equally as well. Dosing is 1 & 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in a gallon of drinking water, make fresh daily, and make sure it's the only water available. Treat for 5-7 days. You can also give an oral dose once a day for up to 3 days in addition to the medicated water, instructions for dosing that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If she is not drinking on her own I would do the oral dose and also give her some of the medicated water several times a day until she does start drinking on her own, you have to get the meds in for them to work. Coccidiosis is really common in chicks and young birds. Corid is carried by many feed stores and tractor supply stores, often in the cattle/livestock section. If it appears to be coccidiosis, it's a good idea to treat all of them that are kept together since they will all have been exposed.
2202129.jpg

1033284.jpg

Eating is a good sign. Once you see droppings, if they are runny, mucousy, or contain any blood, then I would start her on Corid right away. Not all strains of coccidia will produce blood, but runny and mucousy are also signs. Corid is very safe, so it won't hurt anything even if it's something else. With coccidiosis, it's better safe than sorry, so if in doubt, treat. When giving Corid, do not give vitamins at the same time that contain thiamine, as that can reduce the effectiveness of the Corid. Products are pictured below, you can use either the powder or the liquid, most people find the liquid to be more convenient, but either will work equally as well. Dosing is 1 & 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid mixed in a gallon of drinking water, make fresh daily, and make sure it's the only water available. Treat for 5-7 days. You can also give an oral dose once a day for up to 3 days in addition to the medicated water, instructions for dosing that are here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/
If she is not drinking on her own I would do the oral dose and also give her some of the medicated water several times a day until she does start drinking on her own, you have to get the meds in for them to work. Coccidiosis is really common in chicks and young birds. Corid is carried by many feed stores and tractor supply stores, often in the cattle/livestock section. If it appears to be coccidiosis, it's a good idea to treat all of them that are kept together since they will all have been exposed.
View attachment 3568962
View attachment 3568963
Thank you so much!!

Poor girl didn’t even make it another day after I posted. The earliest I could get Corid was the next day and it was too late :/

Back
Top Bottom