What kind of ducks do we have?

Jvillechickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Chester Co., Pa
My sweet husband brought home 3 ducklings the same day he got our chicks (I think he just fell in love with them!) from our local TSC. We have no idea what breed they are, but they are very sweet and love the chicks. The three of them almost always stick together.
Thanks for your help!

Oh, and one more question - any idea why they won't swim? When we first had them (they're about 6-7 weeks old now), they loved the water and would swim around in the big saucer we had out for them. My husband put a baby pool in their pen and they won't go in at all. It's very strange! They use the water to clean their faces, but just won't swim.

Yep, pekins. Don't know why they won't swim, guess they don't want to. My pekins will swim in the creek but won't get in the kiddie pool. To each their own I guess.

I had to sit in the kiddie pool with the ducks for them to realize it was safe, but that was when they were wee ducklings.

Last weekend we went to visit my bf's mom and she bought a pink pool for the ducks to play in. When they saw that thing they ran away, terrified! I figured it was because ours was blue and her's was pink...? I tried placing them in the pool but they just frantically hopped back out. I eventually got them to like it placing some feeder fish in pool. They can't resist those
wink.png

I think ducks are scared of new things. Do they have a ramp or steps to get in and out of the pool?

Hi, Their Pekins and their adorable. We have 2. One very healthy and one crippled.
Pekins are pure white and they all pretty much look exactly the same. With different personalities of course. Yours are so cute.
thumbsup.gif

Make sure you have a step up for them so they can get in.And a rock inside for them to get out. Also splash the water around a little with your hand where they can see you so they know its safe. Pekins are awesome ducks. I have a rouen, a pekin, and an indian runner that are inseperable. They fight alot but not for long. All boys. They are my babies . I talk to them all the time and coundnt imagine a day without them.
They also stick together no matter what. Try seperating them and just watch.LOL!
anything else you want to ask, I'll be happy to help.

Good luck.

I think melissamerry just nailed it on the head. They are pekins i have 4 but used to have 6. Since they do use it maybe they aren't sure what it does exactly. Maybe some steps would help and lots of treats. When I first got my Pekins a kiddie pool they caught right on but that's because they know hose equals water lol. They used to watch me fill up their waterers then I got a pool and they watched me fill it up with the hose and I threw some treats in probably apple pieces because they love them but I can't remember and they figured it out. I never used steps with mine but its not a very tall one. Now they have a huge pool and they have a ramp for that one. Whenever I fill something up with the hose and they hear it they come running no matter where they are. I think treats in the kiddie pool would do it for them though because mine love the water. I even spray them with the hose and they love it lol.

Back
Top Bottom