What kind of pellet gun for squirrels?

Quote:
LOL! That is soo true! It's as if they email all their relatives and everyone hops on a bus!! I never looked at it like that, but looking back on my experiences - your right.
lol.png

I didn't get my question answered, but I guess that's what I get for posting this thread. Honestly, rats are just the same as squirrels, yet the squirrels live in trees. If people kill rats, what's wrong with squirrels? They are a BIG pest around here. They chew wires, cause blackouts, disable cars by chewing/nesting in them threw the bottom, and nest in attics where they chew insulation. (and also grow bacteria with their droppings while they're in there) I don't like killing anything, which is why my dad would be doing the shooting. When this problem arrose, of course the first thing in my mind was to fix the problem, but because of the situation it's not going to be easy. The chickens are kept in a chain-link dog kennel, with 2 feet of hardware cloth burried around it. The squirrels are obviously small enough to slip right through the holes, and me and my family can not afford to fix the chicken pen to secure it from something as small and agile as squirrels. They also destroy the plants. They dug up and killed the orchids worth 200$ my mom bought, (Which she grows in the unscreened patio, and it is not going to get screened anytime soon) and are also stripping down my mulberry tree of it's leaves, which I need to grow silkworms for my reptiles. So, back to the title now?

Im pretty sure mines called the pumpmaster 2000.I like it for target practice and for getting rid of problem squirrels who love destroying my plants and grape vines.Or if you cant spend money on a gun get a barrel fill it half way with water and pour sunflower seeds.They will float and stay at the top so the squirrel doesnt see the water until its too late.

Even a cheap Daisy pellet rifle will do the job.

The basic categories of common pellet rifles are pump action and sprint action. The cheap Daisy noted above is a pump gun -- takes about 10 pumps to get 800 fps. Some cheap springers like Crosman or Gamo can get around 1000 fps with a single break-barrel cocking action.

Most pellet rifles are .177 but I prefer .22 pellet rifles as they can stop a raccoon with one shot. I have one that has two barrells so I can use either ammunition.

Because I am a lousy shot, I also got a CO2 BB Pistol which can send .177 steel ball bearings downrange at 480 fps. It will not kill a squirrel, but it will make a lot of noise all around it as I miss.

If you have serious persistent pest problems you may be better off with a .22 rifle. You can get subsonic rounds that make it a lot quieter (due to staying under 1200 fps). Also a firearm has better rate of fire than a pellet rifle.

Be sure to check your laws. Texas requires a license to hunt squirrels and has a season for it. But they also carve out an exception for predation.

mener6896
All I can say is you ate what you killed. I see nothing wrong with that. So from me you will get no trash. My husband and son hunt squirrels and eat them. Nothing wrong with it.
thumbsup.gif

Mind you, the squirrels are going to be within 10-30 feet. Not very far away, as you can see, so I don't need something overly powerful, or a gun meant for long range shots. Since I know nearly nothing abouts gun, it would be nice to be informed. (Like with the fps, what does it mean?) I've tried to talk my parents into eating the squirrels, but they just don't feel comfortable with it. So chances are, they'll probably be thrown on the back side walk for the vultures to eat. (And there's quite a few vultures around here)

Quote:
FPS is Feet Per Second. I would be careful about tossing dead animals out for vultures or whatever else will eat them. All that will do is let the animal world know that they should stop by frequently when searching for a meal. You really dont want to put up that billboard.

Again, for the distances your asking for, you can get away with something $100-$125 max. It's all shot placement. I shoot mine at cans, a mark on tree or whatever 2-3 times a week just to stay in tune. You wont find a cheaper gun to shoot. No noise means it wont bother your neighbors and Ive known people to set up shooting galleries in their basement. I bought mine from Cabela's on clearance. Here is another one thats a good deal for what you want.

I use a 40 year old .177 Benjamin pump.

Absolutely the end all be all when it comes to squirrels.

fried squirrel,,with gravy and biscuits,,,,
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
,,you make get some of them,but as long as food is available,,they will keep coming

Any pellet gun 1000 fps or greater will kill a squirrel, & they are delicious. There is no reason you have to give up the things you & mom enjoy, because it attracts squirrels. I just see it as an added bonus. Invite me for fried squirrel!
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom