C0ckatrice

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2018
Recently we have been having trouble with predators. Witch we never have. We had 5 chickens left before spring, they where 2 years old. Suddenly one morning we found 2 of them dead in the coup without their heads. Feathers everywhere. The same thing happens to one of our family members who lives less than a mile away. The coup was unlocked so we thought if we closed it that would be the end of things. But then today, we found another chicken half pulled through the chicken wire, with its head missing on the other side. Did a raccoon kill the 2 chickens then use its hands to drag the other chicken partly through the fence holes?

That is tough... sorry. Racoons will take the head off and they could possibly gain entrance from an unlocked door. But they might kill them all in one setting.
I once found a headless chicken under the coop. The predator had, as yours has done, pulled it's head off on the other side of the run and the headless bird managed to get under the coop. I never did figure what did it. I put chicken wire over the dog wire and never had it happen again.

Definitely a raccoon. They often behead their victim and leave everything else behind. They're wasteful hunters and kill for fun. As above posters stated you need to close all gaps and make sure they have a secure coop to sleep at night. Did this happen during the day?

I'm so sorry that you have had this happen. Hardware cloth is a must for protecting the flock against all kinds of predators. We use hardware cloth on the sides and bottom and all upper areas are covered. Good luck to you and I hope you can live trap the coons and relocate them.

Back
Top Bottom