What time of day does you hens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 12, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    My chickens lay all day long but some people say that they should lay in the mornings, is that true? What time does your chicken lay?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Ours lay at all different times of the day. Usually late morning up until late afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Dawn

3. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay well that makes me feel better, now if I could only get the girls to lay in the boxes all would be well in the world! An yes I have tried putting plastic eggs in there.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Our girls lay all day long, too. It varies from day to day as well. Some days they start early and end early, other days we won't get our first egg until after 10am! It really just depends on the day.

Sonja

5. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Mine lay mostly before 3 o'clock. I wouldn't worry about their laying pattern at all.

6. bufforps

bufforps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    NC
    My girls usually start laying around 9am or so and generally stop around 4pm.

7. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    I have a few that start up around 9 in the winter and 8 in the summer but the rest lay anytime up until about 30 minutes before dusk.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Late afternoon. There are times I've refilled their water at 4pm and not found an egg, with our current daylight hours means they are starting to debate settling on the roosts at that time, and then went out to close the coop at dark around 5-6pm and found an egg. If I go out before noon I never find an egg unless I left them locked up the previous day and didn't go out in the evening to look for eggs.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Mine lay all day long.

10. jhc

jhc Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2007
    Mine start at early morning and arre all done by noon. 9 eggs today 12 hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by