What type of roost should I use?

I use small trees, from 2.5" to 3.5" diameter, bark on. Some of my birds roost 8' up in the rafters, which are 4" fence posts. I also have a ladder roost in the other side of my coop, which makes it easier for chicks to start roosting. It's also branches, bark on.
You don't need to buy dimensional lumber, if you have something there already that can be used. I don't recommend dowels though, and it must be wood, not metal or plastic.
Mary

I'm uncertain why the myth is continually perpetuated on this forum that chickens can't cover their toes on anything except a 2x4 with the 4" side facing up, that it's "better" for them, and that chickens can't/weren't meant to perch. I've even read on this forum that a chicken had no muscles in its feet. Really?

Here's a little light reading for you: https://academic.oup.com/ps/article/90/4/715/1514426

And here's a chicken that can cover its toes quite well on a dadgum steering wheel. Compare it to the one roosting in the foreground.

Chicken Roost.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll hazard a guess that fewer than 1 person in 100 on BYC is even aware that scientific studies have been undertaken to determine the optimum size and shape of roost bars, and fewer than 1 in 100 would follow them even if they did know.

To the OP, if you want to provide what poultry science says you should, it would be a 2 x 2 or even more better, a 2 x 4 ripped down the middle to present to them a 1.5" x 1.75" roost, narrow side up, with topside edges eased over a bit. About like you would get with a 1/4" round over router bit. Some 2 x 4 studs are sold that way.....with a nice, rounded over edge.

The notion of a 2 x 4 flat side up to keep toes warm is silly on it's face, but the concept sure sells well around here.

Back
Top Bottom