what!!!!

Quail37

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 8, 2010
ok so the instructions on my genisis incubater say dont open till hatch complete. and they seem very stern on that note. but then is says to open and add water every few days and to take eggs off turner rack 3 days prior to hatch. so to do all this i have to open the incubater..........
hmm.png
.is it ok to open it or what and also how do i measure my humidity..... i got a themometer and all but how do i know where the humidity is at....thanks guys.

Go to the chicken forums and read about incubating and hatching, it has tons of really good info and it applies to quail also.

To answer your question quickly, you are not supposed to open the incubator during the last 3 days of the hatch. Most call it "lockdown" . It is ok to open the incubator during the first 13 days or so to add water if needed or to turn the eggs if you do not have a turner. But even then it should be a quick opening and shutting so things don't cool down too much. That is the quick answer but you really should go read some of the incubating threads, really good stuff on there.
smile.png

One thing to keep in mind is the time frame of the type of bird you are trying to hatch. Chickens take about 21 days and then quail take I think between 16 to 18 days. So no matter what type you are hatching the last 2 to 3 days are the days that you have to keep yours hands off and lid shut.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom