When did your chicken start laying?

When did your chickens start laying?

• Total voters

reddpepper86

Songster
Mar 18, 2016
Oregon Coast
I know this question has probably been asked a gazillion times over, but I'm curious when everyone's chickens started laying? This is my first time chicken keeping. I have 5 birds, all 18 weeks. 1 Red SL, 1 RIR, 1 GLW, and 2 Ameracaunas. If you have one of these breeds I'd love to know when yours started laying! Thanks so much everyone!

I've had chickens start anywhere between 19 and 30 weeks.
Of the breeds you have and the 30 plus breeds I've raised, I've only had Wyandottes and Ameraucanas.
I think both were at about 23 weeks.
That said, the time of year (day length declining vs. increasing) will dramatically change when the first egg arrives regardless of breed.
Your days are already about 10 minutes longer than the winter solstice so you may expect those breeds to start in the next 3 weeks or so.
Combs and wattles will become larger and brighter red as POL approaches. Check the distance between the two pointy pelvic bones. If it is less than two finger width, they aren't ready. When it widens, eggs should be forthcoming soon.

Last edited:
Last year I had some chicks hatch in Aug. They didn't start laying until late Feb and Mar. They need those longer hours of daylight to get into the mood to lay. When I've had spring hatched chickens they have started as early as 20 weeks and as late as 11 months old with most starting between 20 and 25 weeks.

How much does weather effect the egg laying? Our chickens are just about 20 weeks, but it has been negative temps and snowing constantly.... I hear that can slow the production.... Any thoughts?

It's not weather that is of a great concern. It's the number of hours of daylight. It just so happens that there are shorter hours of daylight when it's cold. The days are getting longer and your chickens are approaching the age when they should start laying. Watch to see if their combs are getting red. Another way to tell when they are close to laying is the distance between their pelvic bones. Anything less than 2 fingers wide and an egg can't pass through.

It's not weather that is of a great concern. It's the number of hours of daylight. It just so happens that there are shorter hours of daylight when it's cold. The days are getting longer and your chickens are approaching the age when they should start laying. Watch to see if their combs are getting red. Another way to tell when they are close to laying is the distance between their pelvic bones. Anything less than 2 fingers wide and an egg can't pass through.

I guess it may take them some time then.... They have refused to go outside. :-( We try to bring them out to get fresh air and use their run, but they run back inside as fast as they can.... I can't say I blame them because it is so frigid out. But, since they are inside a lot, I worry that they won't know the difference with daylight hours? They have a light in the coop but, are not used to coming inside at night at this point.... Do you think this is problematic?

Are the sides of your run covered? Mine are covered with clear vinyl shower curtains to keep any breeze off the birds. On a sunny day it acts like a greenhouse and it's warmer in the run than it is outside. My birds refuse to stay in the coop. You should get your first eggs in Feb and Mar.

Back
Top Bottom