Someone smart told me to find what I love and it will never feel like work. So true.
Thats very true. Anything you truly love you shouldn’t need to force yourself.
(course sometimes your unmotivated, but my point is if your always forcing yourself to do a hobby/job you don’t really want to do it.)

I got married. That's my job.

That is a full time and a part time job!!! :D
I am partially being cheeky but basically I "retired" at 33 - deal with hubby has always been that if he remained reliably employed, I'd take care of everything else. Which is why I'm the one outside with a chainsaw when a tree goes down on the driveway. :p

Hubby was flaky when he was younger, but went back to school for a second degree and now he's your stereotypical tech worker.

Back when I was working for a paycheck, I mainly did accounting/data entry type stuff, and transitioned to web programmer/desktop publisher (self taught) before I decided I was done.

Speaking to the purpose of the thread rather than sticking to the question as asked (lol)...

My funnest job was Flight Attendant.

I really like feeling as though I'm helping people. (otherwise, I don't often appreciate humans much, weird introvert that I am)
The strange bit about it was the sheer quantity of humans passing through, very focused on other stuff, made it all less social somehow, and easy enough for me to cope with.

But the cool part about it was the actual flights. The sense of going somewhere, even though most are short hops. And even doing beverage service feels a little more like play acting than actual work.

The serious part was cabin safety, being responsible for that many people, and alert to myriad details.

The refreshing part is your coworkers are constantly changing, so there's not much of the drama build up that happens elsewhere. Everyone is still in the polite phase when the crew gets reassigned (until one gets very senior with a firm schedule).

The awful part was the lifestyle - stationed in some city far from home with expensive rent, no family or friends nearby, and few off hours that you're not sleeping to make your living situation better. Forget about keeping pets with you. I couldn't hack it for long, but everyone is different.

And of course, the fun part - with domestic airlines you may not be going to Paris, but you can still walk up to any gate (affiliated with your airline) and 8 out of 10 times get a seat to go any place in the country (that your airline services). When you actually have the time to use it.

Degree not required. They have recruiting "events" for the low-grade airlines which is the only way to get "in" - and then once you have a couple years of experience you can apply at the big-name, international airlines.
They look for people who can present a polite facade. Speak coherently during the brief interview. And especially, follow the many rules, whose sole purpose seems to be filtering for people that pay attention to details.

They do require that every official document be in order. Birth certificate, High school diploma, Social Security number, etc. It gets investigated by the FAA. Security stuff. Quite a few people got yanked from the 6-week training when their documents weren't verifiable. And there's lots of pee tests, lol.

Of course, I also loved working on horse farms. But the people don't treat you as well as horses treat you, and it's not well paying enough for long-term survival.

I also briefly apprenticed with a natural horsemanship trainer, but that was working for free.

I've had lots of restaurant jobs, including asst. manager at two pizza places. Don't recommend restaurants if you can avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom