Which feed is best for my chickens

Mark_

Chirping
May 5, 2021
I have 2 types of brand feeds where i live they are Bryant Feed and West Feed anyone know which one is best I've been feeding Bryant feed and they been having watery dropings

Screenshot_20210505-095225_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-095149_Brave.jpg

I would pick the second over the first.

The first only has 1 ingredient and the rest is artificial additives... Yes the nutrition might be there but that is just too much of a chemical concoction and it says minimum 20% protein - as much as 40% protein then? Just all feed byproduct mixed together in that one if you ask me with no importance on the right ratio and far too much salt as a result.

The second one sounds better and has half the amount of the salt content of the first feed (but still high) but unfortunately it too contains artificial flavourings which are not healthy ingredients

Last edited:
Thankyou, yeah these are the only feeds near me a tractors supply is 40min away from my house and the nearest fwed stores are like 5 min
I completely understand your predicament, I'm in a similar boat. You could ask them if they would consider buying another brand of feed for you or you could see if they offer other feed that would allow you to make your own chicken feed blend. Just an idea. Best of luck.

Use the West - I have a good idea where you are at, having lived in TX till recently - they are one of the Local mills. Overall, the composition, including the 20% protein, is superior for most purposes.

That said, one caveat. BOTH feeds have a LOT of calcium. That's fine for your layers, and if you are raising meaties for quick slaughter, its not likely to have much negative impact before the axe comes down. In the long term, however, high calcium feeds are not good for non-egg layers - the calcium builds over time and causes a host of problems (kidney problems most pronounced, but certainly not exclusive), particularly in your Roos and can shorten the lifespan of the whole flock. If your hens are a breed late to lay (such as the Brahma, often going seven months or more before starting to lay), those birds also have a lot of time in which calcium can build up in their systems and cause damage.

I'd love to offer math, but this is a case where "the dosage is the poison", and there are too many variables involved of time, quantity eaten, breed of bird, individual genetics and laying characteristics to give a good formula. Just be aware that more high calcium food, and more time eating it before onset of lay both contribute to build up of calcium which can eventually cause damage.

I have 2 types of brand feeds where i live they are Bryant Feed and West Feed anyone know which one is best I've been feeding Bryant feed and they been having watery dropings

View attachment 2651449

View attachment 2651452
20% protein is better for adult quail...I think that 16% protein for chickens is enough. However you may want to feed higher protein from fall through winter when they are molting.

Back
Top Bottom