White face Black Spanish - Photos Added

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
Just how slow are Black Spanish to mature? I have two pullets. I think. They're about 5 months old, so gender should be pretty apparent, right?

One of them, is making me worried. Last night when I went to check on them, she was mumbling in chicken speak with a rooster type sound while trying to huddle down with the other. I've only observed babies and boys doing this. She is talking a lot, another rooster thing. No crow tries that I have heard.

I was getting excited because she has started to go red in the comb, but with these new noises... not so excited.

Never had this breed before, so I don't know how long it takes for them to mature, but I thought it was pretty standard that a is boy and you can tell early on. Is this a talkative breed?

The tail looked hen for the longest time. But now... there are two longer feathers coming out, but nothing for a saddle to speak of. feathers are still rounded, though around the neck seems to be pointy-ish. Not pointy like any rooster I have seen, but not as rounded as what a hen has in my experience.

So who knows anything about this breed and how they mature?

Seems to me that the boys would be more advanced in their development in the comb and white face growths at this age.

Here's photos...

Bird in question... See the top tail feathers and the bend to them?

P1040821.jpg

P1040822.jpg

P1040831.jpg

P1040823.jpg

Tailless friend...

P1040824.jpg

Together, size difference, though were identical for the longest time. Now the one with the tail is larger, talks different, more red in the comb/waddles.

P1040835.jpg

P1040832.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, at 5 months it would be obvious. Look for the saddle feathers. Only boys have saddle feathers.

Here's a picture of my rooster at 6 months. This picture shows his saddle feathers well. You see the thin, copper colored feathers hanging down in front of his tail? Those are saddle feathers.

10225.jpg

If you're still having trouble, then post a pic and we'll tell you if you have a boy or girl.
smile.png

Silly, I know what a rooster looks like. It's this slow developing breed I'm not familiar with. Physically, it appears to be a hen. Small comb just starting to go red. Right at the normal age for that to happen.

But it's the noises, I wonder if my camera will record the noise. I'm wondering if this breed in particular is really that much later to develop than "normal" breeds. It starts fights with it's friend, makes quiet usually-roo noises (but no crowing yet) plus normal young hen noises. The tail is getting longer on top, even though she/it had a normal pullet tail the last 3 months.

I'll get a picture next time I check on them. Does anyone have photos of White Face Black Spanish around 5 months old with a known gender? She looked identical to the other until a couple weeks ago, besides the fact that the other is defective and doesn't have a tail.

I'll thank you for the pic tho, since I'm still pretty new to this and it was nice to have a good example/definition of saddle feathers. (even tho it still doesn't help me with my showgirl)

Quote:

WFBS are really slow developers. When I first got mine I was sure I had a 2 hens and a rooster. Ended up being the other way around. The white face of the male seemed to take agers to fully develope. Post some pictures if you like and I will see if I can tell for you.

Quote:
I understood what you were saying. A don't raise them, but my understanding is they are slow to mature. But I think it would be a good idea to upload a picture. I know I'm a little late to this conversation.
But I would love to see a picture! Good luck!

That's what I was worried about... normal looking "hen" for any other breed at this age, but with this breed in particular, right when rooster signs can show up. I'll snap a photo when I go to feed today and see about a video of noises.

Photos added to original post... but I found another pair online that are young... boy on the right side...

WFBSSplashYngPr.jpg

And mine...

P1040821.jpg

wish they gave an age, all it said was "young pair".

Back
Top Bottom