1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Wierd spiral grooves on my eggs???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknsnbiskits, Aug 29, 2011.

1. chicknsnbiskits

chicknsnbiskits In the Brooder

Oct 20, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Hey all.
    I have a Barred Rock girl (Mayflower) who's about 2 1/2 and just started laying again after a couple month's hiatus. She laid a couple normal eggs, but over the last four days, she has laid eggs with a progressively deeper and deeper spiral groove from the top to the bottom. We see odd things here and there, but I'm worried that this could represent a problem for her. Could it be a mass or tumor near her oviduct that is pressing and causing the groove as the egg descends and spins?
    Help/advice is appreciated!

[​IMG]
    The four pinkish-brown eggs along the bottom are Mayflower's, in order Left-Right of the day she laid them. The others are from Basia (Golden Polish) and Muffet (Ameraucana).

[​IMG]
    Closer-up on Mayflower's most recent eggs.

[​IMG]
    Better angle to see how "groovy" they are. [​IMG]

What do you think?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That's not so bad.......Sometimes when they've had a break from laying (like when they've molted or whatever), when they start back, the eggs are a little wonky. Nothing to worry about. It should iron itself out with time.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by