Wild Quail Eggs.. should I try to hatch?

Should I try to hatch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bonkerelli

In it for the chickens
Jan 1, 2022
I recently moved to where the lawn was overgrown. While cleaning it up I found 14 quail eggs in a nest. They all look "fresh". All really clean and no cracks. I candled them and didn't see anything growing inside. I am kinda wanting to hatch them but a little hesitant. Any advice on Quail would be great. But what do you think? Should I try to hatch or not?

I recently moved to where the lawn was overgrown. While cleaning it up I found 14 quail eggs in a nest. They all look "fresh". All really clean and no cracks. I candled them and didn't see anything growing inside. I am kinda wanting to hatch them but a little hesitant. Any advice on Quail would be great. But what do you think? Should I try to hatch or not?
Do you know what type of quail they are from? I don’t k ow if it would even be legal to depending on the type but I could be wrong. Can you send pics of the eggs?

Do you know what type of quail they are from? I don’t k ow if it would even be legal to depending on the type but I could be wrong. Can you send pics of the eggs?
Think they're California quail. There are A LOT of them around my house. 20230907_210922.jpg 20230907_210906.jpg

Yeah she hatches coturnix. It’s a bit different since California quail are wild and coturnix are domestic so you might need a license or might not be able to hatch/keep them at all.
I didn't think of that. I just looked it up and I can't hatch them without a hand license! Thanks for mentioning that. Good thing I'm planning to stick with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom